1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Suspect Dead LCD Monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AlisN1dlan, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlisN1dlan

AlisN1dlan Thread Starter

I have a suspicion that I'm out of luck here, but I need to make sure before I throw this thing out the window :confused:

I have a 32" LCD monitor / television - a "Soyo"; bought 14 months ago (great price: $745 but warranty expired 2 months ago).

2 nights ago: watching DISH satellite television on it
    Thunderstorm: NOT a bad one; not overhead: no lightening, just rain and thunder

Lost signal (not unusual: happens every time it thunders in Cleveland and I live in Connecticut)

When signal returned, audio was fine; picture was jumping around and flashing like crazy with really bad horizontal ghosting. All other TV's in house operating normally

Next morning: Other TV's still fine. This one: no picture whatsoever. Just VERTICAL, CHANGING color bars (not distinct, gradual fuzzy changes between them.) Can't even see VISIBLE response to it's own remote or the one for the cable i.e. can't see "input source list" when appropriate button on remote is pushed. The channels will change: you can tell by the audio, but there's no display of anything.

Tried a DVD. Could see "SOURCE" choices on TV well enough to select proper one and after about 15 minutes the picture began to return. Came back to just about where it had been the night before: bad, but distinguishable.

This morning: It does show the TELEVISION menus via the TV remote, but the picture is just now becoming visible after 5 minutes: looks like "colored plaid" with the vertical bars and horizontal instability.

I have found only one answer that I really don't understand: that stray electrical activity is "leaking" into the co-axial cable line and that a "ground breaker" installed in between the television and the end of the cable line that enters the set could fix it. I just don't want to do anything WRONG to make the problem worse.

Is it dead in the water? It weighs a ton: came freight. I'm not sure I could even get it ready for shipping, never mind the expense involved if I could. The nearest facility is hundreds of miles from me and I'd have to pay the cost both ways.

Big thanks for any input: I really appprecated it.
    Carol

2. kryptonite1055

kryptonite1055

i am not very good in this area, but with our tv, i have to unplug it, and wait 10 sec. then plug it back in to get it to work again. honestly I think you already have the answer. The "leaking power" means, there are power wires running near the co-axial wire, and is affecting the signal. Adding that "ground breaker should fix it. or for some reason a wire has started to come loose. If that is the case, make sure the wires involved are connected properly.

3. AlisN1dlan

AlisN1dlan Thread Starter

Well, I guess the ground breaker is only a few bucks so I'll get one tomorrow and post what happens . . . thanks very much for taking the time to reply :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596958

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice