1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Suspected blocked ports

Discussion in 'Games' started by tidus_mi2, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tidus_mi2

tidus_mi2 Thread Starter

I've been trying to play FFXI ever since I moved into my Halls of Residence at University and I can't, I do believe it's a case of them blocking ports, what else? They obviosuly want to restrict access to programs that will slow the connection.

But...

World of Warcraft i've been told runs fine and I own Guild Wars, that runs fine as well so obviously i'm a bit confused, all 3 are similar games, all MMO's but FFXI is the only one that has it's ports blocked? It makes no sense to me.

I've e-mailed the University in what will probably turn out to be a frivilous (spelling?) attempt at requesting they unblock the necessary ports...which I included in the e-mail.

I'm ultimately left with 3 options...

1) They do unblock the necessary ports and i'm happy
    2) Is there any way around it? (you guys will know more than me :))
    3) I live with it for the year and get my own place next year...

Obviously ranked in order of how i'd like it to turn out.

Thanks for any help given.

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    well, not too sure why they are not blocking others, but some how blocking FFXI but we do not help with circumventing network policies so 2) is out of the question.

My question to you is are you sitting behind a router on your end or are you direct connected to the wall?

Do you have any internet security suite enabled? That may block the ports too.

3. tidus_mi2

tidus_mi2 Thread Starter

Well I have no idea about the router but to get internet access all I did was stick an ethernet cable from my PC into a socket into the wall so that's all the info I can really give about that.

Haven't installed anything new security wise since I got to university so it can't be that either really

4. valis

valis Moderator

1. It's a happy world and birds are chirping. :)

2. We can't help you with that. The uni has put their network in place for a reason, and set it up their way for a reason. That leaves 1 or 3.

btw, aren't you supposed to be studying? ;)

5. tidus_mi2

tidus_mi2 Thread Starter

pfft, how did I not see that one coming?

Brilliant quote from the Shining here, all work and no play makes Stephen (me) a very dull boy

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757135

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice