1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Suspecting Spyware on Laptop

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by MikeDavison, Mar 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeDavison

MikeDavison Thread Starter

Hi,
    I am writing today to ask for help on what could be a threat on my laptop.

I own a Windows 7 Laptop computer and I encountered an issue that lead me to believe that my computer may contain a variant of spyware on it. A little background of what I do with my online use is that I am a YouTube content creator that makes music. Last night, I was on YouTube replying to a comment that discussed the use of my tag. In music, a tag is used to prevent the theft of a song.

Back to the story, I replied to the comment stating that I was changing my tag to make it more professional. Here's where the issue begins. Suddenly, minutes later, I get a strange text on my phone from a number I do not recognize. The first text read "BALLS", which at first lead me to believe that the person had the wrong number, but the second text is what raises my concern to full alert. The second text read "Super excited about the future of this tag".

I have never given my number to anyone on the internet, nor to a stranger. My number is connected to my Youtube account, but I do not know how this person was able to claim my number, and I really don't know how the person was able to know I was talking about my tag. I was then lead to believe that some form of spyware was involved (I am not 100% sure or not). I panicked and did a full scan with AVG and Malwarebytes, but neither found anything, so I decided to do more research on spyware on my own. From that moment, I decided to stop using my laptop in fear that the potential spyware is a keylogger.

This morning, I received an email from Twitch stating that someone attempted to hack my account, but Twitch stopped them and reset my password automatically. This rose my concern even further, thinking that my accounts were in danger, but fortunately, a few friends and reliable people told me that several people got that email from Twitch because they had issues with their servers. I took the precaution of resetting the passwords of all of my accounts on a different computer.

All of my passwords are reset and all of my accounts are safe and functional, and my anti virus says my laptop is clean, but the question still remains on how I got that suspicious text that "coincidentally" knew I was talking about my tag with another person. Could there be spyware on my laptop that allowed the person to know what I was talking about? Maybe its a glitch with Google accounts. Hopefully I know for sure.

2. MikeDavison

MikeDavison Thread Starter

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!