1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

svc pack 2 crashed my computer!!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Airforcedc2, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Airforcedc2

Airforcedc2 Thread Starter

winxp Home amd 512 60G ram etc. I run a program from www.stardock.com called "bootskin" which changes my
    windows boot screen. after installing service pack 2 (which i knew was a bad idea) i was prompted to restart
    my comp. per usual installation procedures...at restart, original winxp bootscreen appeared, then it cut to my
    custom boot screen for ten seconds (before svc pack 2 it would just show my cust. boot screen) after the ten
    seconds of loading (the loading bar was actively scrolling) my laptop shuts down and attempts reboot with the
    whole procedure starting all over again. if i let it run, it'll continue this way all night. HELP!! there's
    no way i can afford to lose the data on my comp by reinstalling win. if i could only get in to del the boot
    screen program. any and all help is greatly appreciated.
    Christa

2. Airforcedc2

winxp Home amd 512 60G ram etc. I run a program from www.stardock.com called "bootskin" which changes my
    windows boot screen. after installing service pack 2 (which i knew was a bad idea) i was prompted to restart
    my comp. per usual installation procedures...at restart, original winxp bootscreen appeared, then it cut to my
    custom boot screen for ten seconds (before svc pack 2 it would just show my cust. boot screen) after the ten
    seconds of loading (the loading bar was actively scrolling) my laptop shuts down and attempts reboot with the
    whole procedure starting all over again. if i let it run, it'll continue this way all night. HELP!! there's
    no way i can afford to lose the data on my comp by reinstalling win. if i could only get in to del the boot
    screen program. any and all help is greatly appreciated.
    Christa

3. Training

Training

Have you tried booting to safe mode, its possible that safe mode might not run your boot screen program.

Push F8 repeatedly while your computer is booting, it should take you to a menu, on the menu select safe mode (or Windows advanced options and then safe mode) and hit enter. If this bypasses your boot screen you should be able to uninstall it normally.

4. Airforcedc2

I tried safe mode but that doesn't work either. it will scroll down the list of necessary drivers and what not, but then just freezes and reboots

thanks for helping me with this problem

5. mike5532g

mike5532g

6. Airforcedc2

i'll try it thanks

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

First question: do you have a Windows CD?

Can you start in Safe Mode? (If yes, you can remove SP2 through Add/Remove programs). (or you can try removing the boot screen)

How to start in Safe Mode:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001060608000039

If you have a Windows CD and cannot start in Safe Mode or otherwise get to a desktop, you need to run the recovery console.

Instructions on that here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875355&product=windowsxpsp2kb

It is also possible to get to the "recovery console" if you have not installed it, by using a 6 floppy startup set.

See the entries under Windows XP setup boot disks here:

http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Since this does not appear to be a "security" issue, I'm going to move this to the XP forum.

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Since that program modifies a core XP file, you might want to check to see if they ever tested it with SP2.

You also don't need to reformat in order to get a clean install.

Make sure you have your valid WindowsXP key
    Insert and boot from your WindowsXP CD
    At the second R=Repair option, press the R key
    This will start the repair
    Eventually you will be prompted for your XP key

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I've merged the two threads you posted; please don't double post.

10. akm

akm

couldnt find much about sp-2 in the techguy forums... im very reluctant to download and install it.
    ive got pretty good security on my xp system now, is there any other reason/s to risk the install?
    these major ms upgrades seem like such a crap shoot.
    thoughts?
    thanks.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273485

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice