svchost and system processes

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

phaze112

Just wondering what some of you windows gurus think of my running processes.

There are alot of svchost.exe and I'm not sure that I am comfortable with that or the "network services" username.

All of the things under my "travis" username I recognize and I am cool with. It's just all the svchost.exe under the "system" username that I am uncomfortable with.

Well thanks for the input, greatly appreciated.

here are the images I took two because I needed to scroll to see all the processes:
www.chcompsol.com/Processes-top.jpg
www.chcompsol.com/Processes-bottom.jpg

Travis

Edit: A little about my system and my it's environment. Just behind one linksys wireless router but I am hard wired. I don't connect to any work networks or anything like that. The only connecting I do is via internet browsers and my ftp client to transfer files to my web hosting. The only program I need or have running, that I know of in the background is AVG Antivirus Free Edition, and sometimes a few messengers or Microsofts Intellipoint. Besides that I'm just in a very normal environment and use my PC for just normal things.

phaze112

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 3:38:57 AM, on 6/29/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
F:\windows\System32\smss.exe
F:\windows\system32\winlogon.exe
F:\windows\system32\services.exe
F:\windows\system32\lsass.exe
F:\windows\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
F:\windows\system32\svchost.exe
F:\windows\System32\svchost.exe
F:\windows\system32\spoolsv.exe
F:\WINDOWS\ATKKBService.exe
F:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
F:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
F:\windows\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
F:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
F:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\usnsvc.exe
F:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\rapimgr.exe
F:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\wcescomm.exe
F:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\IPoint.exe
F:\windows\explorer.exe
F:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe
F:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
F:\Documents and Settings\travis\My Documents\tools\alternativ.exe
F:\windows\system32\wuauclt.exe
F:\windows\System32\msiexec.exe

O3 - Toolbar: Veoh Browser Plug-in - {D0943516-5076-4020-A3B5-AEFAF26AB263} - F:\Program Files\Veoh Networks\Veoh\Plugins\reg\VeohToolbar.dll
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - F:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - F:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - F:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra button: Flash - {43CF38F3-5AEC-45a3-AD31-04EB06E9C6CA} - F:\Program Files\UnH Solutions\Flash Saving Plugin\FlashSButton.dll (HKCU)
O9 - Extra button: Flash Decompiler SWF Capture tool - {86B4FC19-8FA4-4FD3-B243-9AEDB42FA2D5} - F:\Program Files\Eltima Software\Flash Decompiler\iebt.dll (HKCU)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Flash Decompiler SWF Capture tool menu - {86B4FC19-8FA4-4FD3-B243-9AEDB42FA2D5} - F:\Program Files\Eltima Software\Flash Decompiler\iebt.dll (HKCU)
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - F:\windows\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATK Keyboard Service (ATKKeyboardService) - ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. - F:\WINDOWS\ATKKBService.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - F:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - F:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: ieupdater2 (Microsoft IEUpdater2) - Unknown owner - F:\Documents and Settings\travis\ie_updater.exe (file missing)

svchost.exe is a system process belonging to the Microsoft Windows Operating System which handles processes executed from DLLs. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated. So it is ok to have that running.

phaze112

Sorry, I started using this a short while ago after I found that Hijackthis wasn't picking up some things that I wanted to get rid of.

F:\Documents and Settings\travis\My Documents\tools\alternativ.exe

Go back to the normal Hijackthis or is this one ok? I think someone just altered Hijack this a little bit and renamed it to this. I'm not totally sure.

phaze112

gipeo1986 said:
svchost.exe is a system process belonging to the Microsoft Windows Operating System which handles processes executed from DLLs. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated. So it is ok to have that running.

What if one of those .dll's that it is is handling is malicious?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online