1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

svchost.exe hogging CPU usage

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Tiorum, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiorum

Tiorum Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I have this annoying problem I can't fix. Any help would be great. I have a svchost.exe that incrementally (gets greater over time) hogging my cpu bandwidth. Afetr about 4-6 hours of having the system on, it goes up to 100% usage. After running the Tasklist /SVC at the DOS prompt it is identified as a lmhost file. Yes i have run spybot destroying software (ad-aware and Search and Destroy) to no avail. None of my other computers do this. When I shut down the process (PID number sometimes changes) my hard drive then continues intermittantly (and doesn't stop) running but my cpu usage drops back to normal. I don;t know what else to do. I have the latest Mcafee anti-virus and it scans my system once a week. I cant figure it out please help.

thanks.

2. MikeD82

MikeD82

that is what i think is wrong with my. My CPu jumps from almost nothing to 100% and all i did was click on my start button. to open a program and i only had two things opened. AOL and Windows media player.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170532

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice