1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

svchost.exe is taking up 50% of my CPU

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Apoc88, Dec 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Apoc88

Apoc88 Thread Starter

Every time I'm on the internet svchost.exe takes up half my CPU. I can't browse, I have to constantly end svchost.exe so that I can sluggishly switch pages, then in seconds it pops back again. Svchost.exe is somehow connected to my internet connection because i need it to use the internet yet its not letting me, its really frustrating, I've been beating my face on my desk because i cant figure out whats wrong. I've scanned my computer with AVG, malwarebytes, Spybot S&D, and Ad-aware. I tryed going to the microsoft site and downloading:
    Download the Update for Windows XP (927891) package
    and
    Collapse this imageExpand this image

Download the WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe package

but my current problem is denying me access as i cannot connect with download.microsoft.com

I have no idea what to do, my computer has been like this for the past 3 days, any help yould be very much appreciated.

Thank You

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Trusted Advisor

You can download a utility named "Process Explorer" from Microsoft: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896653.aspx

It displays a tree view of the processes and services running on your PC. Under each "svchost.exe" you will see a few services running and the CPU time for each. That should help you determine which one is causing the problem.

3. Apoc88

Apoc88 Thread Starter

Thank you for responding Frank4d, i already downloaded the program, but i am unsure what to do with the process once its found

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

You have posted multiple threads for this same problem. You are wasting people's time by doing that.

Closing duplicate.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/781771