svchost.exe & lsass.exe problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MickL

Hi

I'm currently trying to find a solution to a problem on a friends pc.

His pc has been running extremely slow & upon investigation I've found that one of the svchost.exe & the lsass.exe are using around 99% of his processing power (identified from task manager).

I've done 4 different virus scans (2 pc installed & 2 online) as well as 3 different adware/spyware scans.

Of the virus scans, the only 'bugs' I found were trojan dialers.

When you end the particular svchost.exe process that is using the processing power, the processor usage drops to the normal levels.

I've tried the old routine of going through the individual services & stopping them (whilst viewing the task manager performance window) to try and find out what service is 'sticking' but this hasn't identified anything.

I know the machine is now clean & that it doesn't seem to be virus related or spyware related.

Has anyone any idea what I can do next?

Thanks in advance.

telecom69

Gone but never forgotten
Read this carefully,just make sure that what you have is svchost and not scvhost as scvhost is a trojan ..... do you see the subtle difference?

I don't think Windows allows running processes with the same as Microsoft ones. Check for sneaky process names like svhosts.

PMFJI, but I am having the same problem with svchost.exe, though not lsass.exe. It is definitely "SVCHOST", and not a variation. Though I do know that I have an adware BetterInternet that I have been unable to get rid of. I also have a process running called "lixm.exe" that doesn't belong there, and is probably part of the adware. If I try to end this process it restarts itself.

Anyway, my computer is slower than a turtle, too....

MickL

telecom69 said:
Read this carefully,just make sure that what you have is svchost and not scvhost as scvhost is a trojan ..... do you see the subtle difference?
It definitely is svchost (and not scvhost or similar).

However, I've since found out the the hosts file is missing from the drivers\etc directory....I'm going to copy my hosts file into the directory & see if that cures the problem.

I'll keep you posted.

:D

telecom69

Gone but never forgotten
Wkatydid Your problem is noted,but we need to run theses forums on a one problem,one thread basis to keep things as easy as possible,it can cause problems answering two problems in one thread so would you please go to NEW THREAD top left of the forums index and repost your question there,so you can have our undivided attention :) when you post it please add a hijackthis log available from here http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online