Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 23 of 23 Posts
I have fought a slowdown problem for a few months. Have researched just about everything and finally isolated my problem to Windows Update (via svchost Netsvcs). Apparently, via Processor Explorer, I noticed that that the Windows Update service had a working set of over 1.5GB RAM and spikes even above 2GB. The CPU usage was so great, probably paging, that it stopped everything else. Couldn't even move mouse around or open START or even Process Explorer. I first was blaming the storage usage on Chrome which uses large amounts for EACH tab. However, the multiple tabs I had open (up to 5) only exaserbated the memory shortage even more. The real culprit was the Windows Update process which will run every day at startup (and more) to CHECK your system status and for new updates on the web. My 3GB on my Dell Insprion 1440 would not handle the workload any more -- NOTE the phrase "any more", because it never consumed this much 6 months back! My theory: Like on the old XP system I had, the Windows 7 system is following suit, i.e., crippling the "older" Windows 7 O/S to get you to upgrade your PC to one with the new 8.1, or very soon Windows 10.

Two solutions:
1. Turn OFF automatic Window Updates and manually do them when you aren't busy. You do this by bringing uup Windows Update via Internet Explorer, Tools. Go to Change Settings and select Never Update..... I also went to services via Start->Services.MSC and STOPPED "Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)" which is used by Windows Update. This can then be changed to MANUAL which would let it be started ONLY when you manually request Window Update service.
2. My solution was easy! #1 worked, but adding more RAM was a blessing! I went from 3GB to 6GB and not only does Windows Update no longer slow down my system, but everything flies now! My windows update is now set for automatic updates, Chrome and its memory intensive tabs do not affect anything, Videos play faster, etc.

I though 3GB would be satisfactory for the life of this machine. I realize the O/S grows throughout its life, but the current implementation of Windows Update is beyond growth and seems intentional!

So, add memory if you are short too. Otherwise, turn off Windows Update and do updates manually. Let me know if either of these solve your problem.

Hey guys, i too had this problem, i did consult various forums before ending up on microsoft support agents, i got the information that this was indeed a known bug that bundled itself up on windows 7 and probably 8 win(management) framework 3.0 & ^ update and involves handle leakages{ more casual : resource/memory leakage} so that this "super process" svchost(ntsvc) only acquires memory and fails to let go once done using it, there is presently a fix to this issue inform of a hotfix that you download and install onto your computer, it did help but afterwards you gotta be careful with you updates or the bug will show up again.

have a look at this link : microsoft community.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2889748

I did risk applying the hotfix because they said it should only be applied by those who are greatly affected by the bug, it worked like a charm and now this "process" only uses {3-5}% of my R.A.M while previously it could use upto 70% memory.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.