svchost.exe using 50% CPU for 5-10 minutes?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

xLostSoulx

Hello, I am having a problem in Windows XP Pro. Whenever I first turn on my computer, straight login then wait for programs and everything to start up and everything to settle. All my programs start up lickety-split, but svchost.exe is taking a while to finish up what it needs to do (which I think is the windows updates, correct me if I am wrong)

Anyways, while I am waiting for this process to stop it's 50% CPU (which is one full processor, leaving my other core to do whatever I need it to do) I usually start up some programs such as Firefox and MSN Messenger. When I attempt to go to a page, it won't load. Neither will MSN log in. But, there is something weird, and the only way I can describe it is by attaching a picture (see attachment).

So what it is doing:

1. Using a core just for that one process (50%, 100% if the graph on task manager is set to one for the whole CPU)
2. Denying my access to the internet, until the program is done doing what it is doing.

I never had this happen before, so I don't know what's wrong, so does anybody know what might be happening?

Kind regards!

Attachments

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online