1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

svchost.exe using 50% CPU for 5-10 minutes?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by xLostSoulx, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xLostSoulx

xLostSoulx Thread Starter

Hello, I am having a problem in Windows XP Pro. Whenever I first turn on my computer, straight login then wait for programs and everything to start up and everything to settle. All my programs start up lickety-split, but svchost.exe is taking a while to finish up what it needs to do (which I think is the windows updates, correct me if I am wrong)

Anyways, while I am waiting for this process to stop it's 50% CPU (which is one full processor, leaving my other core to do whatever I need it to do) I usually start up some programs such as Firefox and MSN Messenger. When I attempt to go to a page, it won't load. Neither will MSN log in. But, there is something weird, and the only way I can describe it is by attaching a picture (see attachment).

So what it is doing:

1. Using a core just for that one process (50%, 100% if the graph on task manager is set to one for the whole CPU)
    2. Denying my access to the internet, until the program is done doing what it is doing.

I never had this happen before, so I don't know what's wrong, so does anybody know what might be happening?

Kind regards!

Attached Files:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697003

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice