1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

svchost-process 7 times?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by seashell, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seashell

seashell Thread Starter

Hello,

how often exactly should that process be running? I can't remember having seen it so often in my task-manager but right now im counting 7 instances of it. Same goes for google Chrome - 6 times the same process?? Why is that? Is that possibly slowing down my machine?

Thanks for your reply.

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

My computer has also 7 instances of the svchost.exe process running. Each svchost.exe process is related to a group of Services.

You could download and run the free Process Explorer. Right-click on each svchost.exe process and select Properties. Next, select the Services tab.

Process Explorer doesn't require any installation. Simply run the executable file once downloaded. Then, configure the Process Explorer window to your liking. You can even replace the Task Manager (CTRL+ALT+DEL) by clicking on Options > Replace Task Manager. You'll get a lot more features and details than with the Task Manager.

Or, if you prefer, there is another way to find out which services are mapped to which instance of SVCHOST.EXE, from the command line. Using the TASKLIST.EXE utility we can determine which services belong to which instance. Click Start > Run > type (or paste) the following command:

Code:
    [B]tasklist /SVC /FI "IMAGENAME eq svchost.exe"[/B] 
    Press Enter.

As for Google Chrome, it depends on how many tabs are opened.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919811

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice