1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Svchost

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by Spu, Dec 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spu

Spu Thread Starter

This isn't a question, but more of something that happened to me, REALLY ANNOYED ME, and i fixed it. Thought I would post it to help others who have the same problem.

After booting up my computer (Win2000) one day I noticed that my hard-drive was continually running and everything was running really slow. I checked out the Task Manager and saw that SVCHOST.EXE was eatting all of my memory and using quite a bit of the CPU.

After a bit of research I discovered that SVCHOST runs the internet applications such as IIS. I read a few tips about resolving this, such as deleting the SVCHOST's entry in the register. I tried that (after backing it up) and it worked, although and buggered up other important things, so I brought back my original registry. I also tried reinstalling Win2000 and that didnt help either.

After thinking through the problem I realised (I'm a bit slow ;) ) that one of the services SVCHOST runs must be causing the problem. So I set all of the services SVCHOST runs to manually start-up (Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services), and hay presto, it all works fine ! ! !

Hope this helps people,

Spu

2. brianF

brianF

moving to tips and tricks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62600

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice