1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

svcinit????

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by lola2001, Oct 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

What the hell is SVCINIT? And how can I get rid of it? I downloaded the shredder program and deleted it from the registry but now when I reboot I get a message asking for the associated files while booting. I don't know what program this belongs to. Does anyone know how I can fix this problem? Thanks.

2. beekeeper

beekeeper

You need to do 2 things:
    1) start >> run >> type msconfig >> ok >> startup tab

Once there uncheck svcinit or it may appear as svc service and reboot.

2) start >> run >> type regedit >> ok >> edit >> find >> type svcinit >> find next

Wait while it searches, then right click on the svcinit.exe entry and delete. AS ALWAYS BE CAREFUL IN THE REGISTRY AS ERRORS CAN BE COSTLTY - double check before deleting you have the right key.

3. beekeeper

beekeeper

Or if that doesn't work, try doing them the other way around

4. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

I figured it out. I deleted it from the win.ini file and it's gone. Now how do I get rid of the win98 password box upon boot?

5. buckaroo

buckaroo

Try this:

Go to Start/Settings/Control Panel and double-click the Passwords icon. Click the User Profiles tab and ensure that it is set to all users use same preferences.

:)

6. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

There is only one user on this computer (a friends). I spent the whole evening at her house trying to get rid of that stupid windows box with no luck. Finally left. Thanks for the suggestion though.

7. buckaroo

buckaroo

Did you try it or not? :confused: If you tried it, then it didn't work?

8. brindle

brindle

1. If user profiles are setup, if not disregard this step: In the Users Control Panel (Start;Settings; Control Panel; Users) delete all users.

2. In the Passwords control panel click the User Profiles tab and verify that the 'All users of this PC use the same preferences and desktop settings' option is selected, and then click OK.

3. Click on Start; Find (or Search); Files or Folders.
    4. In 'Search for files or folders named' (or Named) box: type in '*.pwl', without the quotation marks.
    5. In the 'Look In' box use the drop-down arrow to ensure [C:] is selected.
    6. Place a check mark by Include subfolders.
    7. Click on "Find (or Search) Now'.
    8. Right-click delete all the PWL files found.
    9. Close the Find/Search utility and restart the computer via the Start button.
    10. When you see the Windows Logon Prompt again, type in a name (preferrably Ima Nonymous) but do not type in a password and click on 'OK'.

9. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

Buck..the computer doesn't have more then one user profile.

Brindle...I already searched for the .pwl and there isn't one on her computer. There is no logon password ever made. I've changed the computer to windows logon and still the box shows up..cancel get's rid of it but it is irratating.

In the password properties there is no tab called change password, which according to the help files should be there. What could have happened to it?

Thanks.

10. BTS '76

BTS '76

that file is asscoiated with a keylogger program. I would go to pest patrol , about half way down, you'll see a list of files for running the 007 starr program. svcinit, is one of those files, so you probably have more on your system.

11. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

Thanks. I've already been to that site and checked the computer for those files and none are present.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171038

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice