1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Swap Drive Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fiatspider79, Jan 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fiatspider79

fiatspider79 Thread Starter

Like 99.9% of Win98SE users I let Windows manage my swap file but I also monitor it with Norton System Works.

Perhaps I just don't understand it but my Swap File is always at 95% of capacity or better. The whole system is slow and I was wondering if I shouldn't have more space available in the Swap File.

By slow, I mean that my Internet browser often times out while waiting for pages to display and it often takes 10-35 seconds to move from myComputer to C: using Explorer.

I know, a decent machine would help but for now I am stuck with an old Pentium 100 with 108 MB of RAM.

Advice?

Glenn

2. Lurker1

Lurker1

3. $teve

$teve

hi fiatspider........windows does a good job of swapfile management and with the ram you have you would be better to leave it that way.....it sounds like you either need to do a defrag of your drive or prune your startup folder,or probably both.
    control-alt-delete and ditch everything exept systray and explorer,then do a scan-disk and full defrag.....then see if you cant lose things in your startup folder that you just dont need running all the time....ie:media player,realplayer,winamp,stuff you can just click to start,you dont need em in your startup.
    good luck,post back with your results.

4. fiatspider79

fiatspider79 Thread Starter

I run scandisk once a week, defrag (Norton version) daily and the Norton system check weekly.

I have gone in and pared down my startup folder but they just seem to return without an invitation.

Is there any way to find out what the programs that are running are? The names are so cryptic that they are nearly useless. Here is what I am running now:

Explorer (required, I know that)
    Calendar (small pop up calendar that I use frequently)
    Monwow
    Csinsm32
    Stimon
    Systray (also required)
    Csinject
    Navapw32 (Norton Anti-virus live check)
    Cg16eh
    Cgmenu

They all sound important to me. How do I know what they do?

Thanks,
    Glenn

5. Lurker1

Lurker1

Well I'm sure that you don't need most of them. Try stopping them by running msconfig and unchecking the boxes for the ones that aren't required. You can always recheck the box to load it again if you find that you need it. Since they keep coming back download and install Ad-Aware . This is a program which scans your system for spyware.

http://www.lavasoftusa.net/index.html

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64556

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice