Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swap Ram, Lose Sign-in Password

Solved 
658 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  RH049 
#1 ·
A friend asked me to put some ram in his laptop. It's an Asus x550d running Windows 10. He signs in using his Gmail address. So I install the ram but the computer doesn't recognize his login password. ??? This is one of those laptops where you have to take out the keyboard, the dvd and hard drive and the motherboard to get at the ram. (I am chalking this up to the least fun ram install in history :(). Any ideas what went wrong? And could his Gmail address be registered as his Microsoft account?

#3 ·
The gmail account would be a MS account , if he is signing into windows 10 with it

I would goto outlook.com and see if you can use the gmail account and password and be able to sign in
if you can - then something else is going on
if not - then changing the password - normally requires access to an alternative email address or a mobile phone that was set-up when first registered

#4 ·
It's possible that the keyboard isn't registering keystrokes correctly; incomplete cable connection, stuck key, malfunctioning key.

Have him try the onscreen keyboard, there should be a button he can click with mouse to open it on the login screen. Don't have any Windows 10 computers handy but there should be circle next to the power button on the screen to click on, it's part of the Ease of Use/Accessibility options.

#5 ·
These are great replies. Thank you.
Triple6 - I tried your suggestion first as I thought to start with the easiest. However, both the laptop keyboard and the onscreen keyboard matched. It was accessible by clicking the Eng button.
etaf - this worked fine. I now have access to the laptop.

However, I have come across a new interesting challenge. I can access the internet but my range is not as it should be. I take it I messed up the antenna or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.