1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

swapable bays on laptop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by schmidt, Dec 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. schmidt

schmidt Thread Starter

I have a Compaq presario 17XL360 notebook with swapable drives. I would like to get rid of my ME operating system for XP. The problem is I'm not sure if I can format the hard drive using the 3 ½ floppy drive then swap out the bay for the cd ROM drive and install XP’s operating system. Will the computer recognize the cd ROM without the operating system in it?

2. supportchick

supportchick

schmidt,
    HMMMMM, do you have to disable the floppy before removing it and plugging in the CDROM? If not, you will probably need to start the setup with the floppy drive in, just select 'start the computer with CDROM support and the system itself will load generic Oak drivers. If you have to disable the device before the hot swap, then you should check the Compaq website for info.

3. Slithy Tove

Slithy Tove Guest

I would not think you would need a floppy drive at all. In W2K and XP the installation CD has a disk-manager routine imbedded in the installation itself - at the very beginning. This will allow you to do whatever partitioning, formatting, etc. you need before starting the actual installation of XP.

Try booting the XP CD and check it out. You can end the installation before you pull the trigger on anything that will kill your current OS. Just be cautious and read all messages carefully - don't say "yes" to anything that will start formatting or copying unless you are ready. If you get stuck either power off or try the [CTRL] + [ALT] + [DEL].

** To boot from a CD you must have the CDR set higher in the boot-device pick-list than the HD (in the BIOS). This will also test your machine to see if CD-Rom support is available without special drivers.

4. schmidt

schmidt Thread Starter

Already tried to just install from the cd and it got to the point of a warning that said you shouldnt install another OS on the same drive as your other OS that it will cause problems. It never asked me about formatting. It sounded to me like it was just going to load a second OS. I do remember that in the beginning of the install I checked New Install not upgrade would that matter? I figured it was a new install being I had ME on it before.
    Thanks

5. Slithy Tove

Slithy Tove Guest

Did you try the install by loading the CD and double-clicking "setup" or "install" - or letting the installation auto-start

- OR -

did you actually boot from the XP (installation) CD ?

6. schmidt

schmidt Thread Starter

I booted from the CD and click install XP

7. Slithy Tove

Slithy Tove Guest

New install vs Upgrade...
    XP is an NT OS and is completely different than a "9x" OS like ME. Therefore, the Operating System will essentially be a new installation under any circumstances. However, if you choose "upgrade" the installation will attempt to maintain registry entries for previously installed application programs (and some other settings) so you won't have to install them again. That's always risky... I believe it's far better in the long run to do a clean, fresh, total installation to a newly formatted disk then install the applications you need/want under the new OS (but it takes more time).

I do not know why you have not seen the disk-manager function unless you just haven't gone far enough in the install process. I have done many W2K installs and used the feature. I've not done an XP install, but I'm told (by folks who have done them many times) that the same feature/functionality exists in the XP installation.

8. schmidt

schmidt Thread Starter

Well the problem is if I was keeping it myself I would experiment with it but I have it sold to a friend and dont want to take any chances of messing something up with it, It works great I just have way to many putters. I talked to the friend and she said she would take it to someone to have it done, but then I didnt learn anything either. Always want to learn
    Thanks for all the input you guys are great
    Happy Holidays

9. kramnnim

kramnnim

Unless I'm mistaken, if you would have gone a little farther in the setup, you would have had the option to format the hdd before installing. (You'd also get to choose whether or not you wanted to use the NTFS format, or FAT32, etc.)

10. schmidt

schmidt Thread Starter

I want the Fat 32 dont I???? I may try that later today I have to run to finish xmas shopping
    Thanks for the help

11. Slithy Tove

Slithy Tove Guest

Fat32 vs NTFS... depends to a large degree on the size of the disk-drive and the future usage of the system. If the drive is 32GB or less I would stay with Fat32 - it can easily be converted to NTFS later if such is required. If the disk-drive is greater than 32GB you will have to divide it into partitions of 32GB or less (or use a third-party tool) if you want to stay with Fat32.

*Staying with Fat will allow you/her to mount the drive in almost any machine for test/diagnostic/recovery purposes in the future. If you go with NTFS you can only read/write the drive (partition) with a NTFS-capable machine.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/109235

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice