1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

swapfile not in use???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ej, Dec 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ej

ej Thread Starter

Hi, I just upgraded my RAM from 128 to 320. I listen to web radio alot, thought this would help get rid of the stuttering, (I'm on cable) my system monitor shows my swapfile as having 100 m, but the amount in "use" is 0? Is there something I should have adjusted since installing the extra ram? I found disabling my norton antivirus seemed to help with the stuttering, but with 320 ram it shouldn't make a diff I would think. I have a pc, pent II 400mhz, with 2 gigs free. Is there something else I need to do to my pc to optimize the additional ram? Should my swapfile be adjusted?

2. brianF

brianF

With all that ram your swapfile use should be 0, only a large rendering or graphics program would use it. Your ram is sufficent to store everything in memory without going to the hard disk swap file which is much slower.

Not sure about the stuttering with web radio unless it's just a connection issue

3. ej

ej Thread Starter

thanks! have a merry-merry

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62784

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice