1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Swaping Hard Drives

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by buntona, Jun 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. buntona

buntona Thread Starter

What I would like to know is can I swap drives, my main hard drive with windows on is 6GB and my second drive is 20GB what I would like to do is put windows ect, on the 20GB and have the 6GB just for all my music, is this possible or is it possible just to drag them over (did I hear someone gasp).
    Cheers Tony

2. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

Sure you can swap them, just make sure to check the jumper for master, slave settings and go into the bios and make sure they are seen correctly.

I'm sure you will be doing a clean install of the OS! Right?

3. buntona

buntona Thread Starter

Right be patient with me, in what order do I do the above, swap the jumpers first then reinstall, or the other way around, and when I reinstall how do I stop losting my music, could you give it to me step by step, or point me to a web site that would tell me how
    Cheers Tony

4. cybertech

I'm confused about your music getting lost. What's that all about?

5. cybertech

Here's a good web site for you to begin reading. I would suggest you not do anything until you gain a full understanding of what's involved in swapping drives!

How to...

6. buntona

buntona Thread Starter

Well last time I reinstalled it wiped all my hard drive and the only thing left on the drive was reinstalled windows.
    The way I reinstalled was I put floppy disc in, plus cd rom then it ran some ghost software then reinstalled, after taking the floppy disc out
    Cheers Tony

7. raybro

raybro

I think what you want to do is swap drives and move/copy everything on your 6g drive to your 20G drive. If that is correct, the process you want is copying/cloning. There are couple of ways to do this. Most hard drive manufacturers have downloads to do what you want. Go to your HDD mfr's site and look for their version of disk tools. Somewhere in there you should find a disk copy or cloning utility.

There are also softs available that will do this for you. Partition Magic and Partition Commander come to mind.

Perhaps others may be able to provide some other alternatives.

Regards - Ray

8. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

There are several ways to get this done, but my advice is DON'T!

The simplest way to recover from catastrophes is to have your OS on one drive and everything else on the other. There is no point in wasting drive space. Keep all of your programs and the associated files, such as music or pictures on the bigger drive. Then if something happens to your OS's drive(whether it is physical damage,virus,etc.) the only thing you can possibly lose is the OS itself. Everything else is safely separated.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/138772

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice