1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

swaping laptop motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pokesmot91, Jun 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pokesmot91

pokesmot91 Thread Starter

ok i have a gateway laptop model 7330gz with a 64mb intel videocard i know that there are laptops in the series with better videocards and they are the same shape as mine same processor (so i know the socket is the same) just with a bigger hard drive and more ram and those wouldn't affect the shape of the mobo. i was wondering if i am able to upgrade my entire motherboard with one that has a better videocard. i am not an idiot when it comes to computers i have repaired laptops before and installed new motherboards but always the same model and taking it apart and reassembling it will be no problem.

2. maxibhoy

maxibhoy

Go for it!

3. pokesmot91

well i would but i dont want to waist the money on it if it dosnet work so thats why mim asking people cause mb someone already did it

4. photolady

photolady

As long as the motherboard will physically fit and all connectors will hook up right, as in same juice, then there shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure the connections are the same and have the same voltage.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

By the time you buy the MB, you'd be well along to simply buying a new laptop. I think this is the hard way to accomplish that goal. :rolleyes:

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I agree with JohnWill here.

Remember that your Gateway Windows CD will likely not work on a newer motherboard, and that you will need to reinstall Windows when swapping due to the different hardware.
    As the Windows version would be OEM, even if it did install, Activation would fail.

So also add the cost of a new operating system.

7. pokesmot91

ok thank you all for your help i have already bought xp pro, upgrading it from xp home. I do not have allot of money and a new laptop is outa the question this one runs amazingly well. I have a new question i was in my bios and it says that my videocard is only 32 mb and i know that the other 32 mb is coming outa my system memory (shows only 992 mb of ram 992+32=1024 witch i have installed) so my new question is if anyone knows if i can dedicate more system ram to my videocard i would like another 64 so i have 128 and ill be just happy. I looked in bios but there is nothing there i could find thank you for your help

8. SacsTC

SacsTC

No, the system will use what it needs up to the 32 Mg dedicated to the card.

9. maxibhoy

maxibhoy

The quality of a vid card isn't only determined by the memory it has at it's disposal anyway so i don't really think that's a worthwhile cause(even if it was possible). i still think changing the mb would be worthwhile provided you can get one cheap. I assumed you could after reading your first post, or that you already had one. and since you have the o/s also now i would do that exchange, again providing you can get mb cheap enough.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/475379

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice