1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved swaping motherboard and cpu, do i need to repurchase w10

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by antonio.dp, Sep 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. antonio.dp

antonio.dp Thread Starter

i recently bought a new cpu and wanted to get a new motherboard for my rig. but i heard that if i switch those parts i might have to reinstall w10. i got the free update over the summer and i was hoping to avoid the 120$ taxe from microsoft. should i be worry, do i have to uninstall my drivers or pay.

from a uninformed noob hobbyist thank you.

2. replay

replay

Pretty sure u have to buy a new copy/key

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

When you took the free update - your computer was registered on Microsoft servers as being eligible to run windows 10 and that registration included the hardware mainly the motherboard, cpu, graphics and firmware - BIOS/UEFI
    A major hardware change such as you suggest will more than likely prevent the automatic remaining activation of windows 10

It MAY require you to contact Microsoft and speak to an agent.
    Do you have a Microsoft account

as a starter go to settings
    update and security
    click activation
    what does it report please
    Is it Windows 10 on this device is activated with a digital entitlement

see this for further information
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/20527/windows-10-activation-troubleshooter

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  4. antonio.dp

yes it is activated

5. Macboatmaster

Please read my post and answer the questions.
    Without those answers I cannot advise you further
    Have you opened and read the link I sent you
    on the heading I have recently made a hardware chnage

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Is this a big box system ie dell, hp, whatever? If so, then your original windows lic is valid with the original hardware only. Change the board and you need a new lic. If this is a custom build, then you may be able to move the install. If this is a custom build using an oem windows lic, again your lic is valid with the original hardware or the mfg's designated replacement motherboard. As the system builder, you can designate any motherboard you want as the replacement board. This allows you to use the original lic. It is somewhat complicated [and it really should not be] however there is no cut and dry answer.

There is a guide at the top of the hw forum for moving an install OR swapping motherboards without a clean install of the operating system. I have done this many, many times [in fact just did a board swap yesterday with win10] no problems at all. Win10 did not even complain about needing to be activated again. I am typing this on that system right now and it still has not complained about activation. In my case, I use a msdn key and operating system so it may have just phoned home on it's own.
    In your case, you will probably have to call MS and activate over the phone however that is just a guess on my part.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  7. antonio.dp

i have windows 10 and it say its activated with a digital license linked to my microsoft account that all it say. but i havnt put the new hardware in yet. im just making an inquisition on what would happen if i change my parts.

8. antonio.dp

ok thank you for the advice i havnt install my hardware im just concern on what happen if i swap my parts. i feel alot more on ease now. it is a custom build i have an account with microsoft so i hope i dont get into too much trouble thank you

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

FWIW, win10 seems even easier to swap boards than say win7 or win2k. I doubt you will have any problems IF you follow the guide.

10. Macboatmaster

That is what I needed
    as with that configuration and the linked to Microsoft account you can then use the windows 10 activation troubleshooter
    This is a new aspect of activation that could NOT be used on previous windows editions and indeed can not be used on 10 if it is NOT linked to a Microsoft account
    The idea was established by Microsoft to make it usually unnecessary for people to contact Microsoft regarding activation problems.

So if your system had reported only what I posted
    as against what you say it has shown
    and that is why I asked
    which we now know you do have, then without the Microsoft account you cannot use the troubleshooter - as explained on the link I sent you from which I have copied this

This is only a recent change and is not commonly known about yet.

YOU may find you have no problems. OR you experience some difficulty, but it is mainly reported that the process goes well even with motherboard changes HOWEVER be aware please that this generally relates not to this procedure
    but to change of hardware due to failure. The change simply because you wish to upgrade may well be treated as - your choice to build a new system and therefore require a new licence.

That is so even if you keep the windows 10 on the original installation on the hard disk, as the next time updates are progressed an automatic check of the hardware registered on the Microsoft servers is made.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!