1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

swaping motherboard and CPU without c clean install of window

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by frenchy47200, Jan 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. frenchy47200

frenchy47200 Thread Starter

I was a reading a post but unfortunately it is closed ( as it is more than a year old ) written by "cdjdriver" about MOVING A WINDOWS INSTALL OR SWAPING MOTHERBOARDS WITHOUT A CLEAN INSTALL OF WINDOWS..
    it is very interesting as it save all the assle of reinstalling window , specially if you are dual booting window 7 and 8 .I was wondering if somebody knows about it and could give me more clear detail as there is some detail that I really don't understand in it ..if I was to give my full actual spec , and what new mobo and CPU I would like , could some body explain the step bt step of the procedure ..it would be grately appreciated ...
    thanks very much

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I reopened it for you. You do understand that you are still going to have to reactivate windows since a board swap will almost always trigger the need for reactivation. In addition, if your system is/was a big box ie dell, hp, etc, you cannot move the windows install to a new mb. OEM type windows licence lives and dies with the original hardware.

Next be SURE you have a current backup of anything important ie docs, video files, whatever.

FWIW I just did a board swap in my personal system and since I am too lazy to do the install, I did it without clean installing. Went from an intel z68 chipset and 2500k to an amd 990fx chipset and fx8350. Swap went fine with no issues.

3. frenchy47200

well thanks for reopening your thread ..now my pc is home build so I would not have a problem this , as for reactivating window I know I will have to contact Microsoft to explain to them what I am doing ..my window 8 is the upgrade from window 7 when the offer for 50 euro was on just before the linch ..I have a back up cd same for window 7 ..most of your thread I could understand ..what I could not follow properly it is about the drive (IDE /SATA...) my motherboard is an ASUS M3N-HT-Deluxe and my CPU a Phenom x 4 9650..but it is getting a bit old and with all those new game coming I need to upgrade .. could you tell me what detail you need from my spec to be able to give a detailed set up on how to do it ( I am good a pc but not that qualified..i have learn by trial and error ..if you know what I mean ..)do you think you could a set by step document on how to proceed once you have all the detail yopu would need ( drives / CPU/ PSU/ etc )
    and again thanks for reopening this thread
    waiting to hear from you

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, the guide is step by step. You need to make sure that you change any proprietary chipset driver to a standard MS driver. If you go to device manager>ide/ata/atapi controller. Open it and right click>properties. If the driver is supplied by MS, then you should be ok. If it is supplied by amd, you need to change it to a standard ms driver.

5. frenchy47200

Hi , thanks for your answer
    I checked device manage and there is several entry in ide/ ata/atapi/:
    ATA Channel 0
    ATA Channel 0
    ATA Channel 1
    ATA Channel 1
    Standard Dual Channel PCIE Controller

they all are driver MS provider ..I suppose it is a good news .
    Now I have W7 and W8 on two separate drive ( I dual boot with easyBCD) will I have to do the step by step twice before swapping mobo ?
    can I use different brand mobo /CPU/ graphic card than I use at the moment
    thanks for your time ...I need to print the step by step and familiarise with them before attempting anything
    Standard Dual Channel PCIE Controller

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, you have to do the steps in each os. Remember a clean install is really the best way to go. This procedure is for when a clean install is either not possible or [if you are like me] just do not want to go through the clean install.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1118886

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice