Swapping a 9800XT with a 9800XT- Quick Question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

8dalejr.fan

I'm pretty sure my ATI Radeon 9800XT has died on my, so my computer usage is pretty limited right now (especially game-wise). Dell is sending out a technician next week to replace the 9800XT with another 9800XT because I'm still under warranty.

My question is- since I'm replacing one card with an identical one, can the tech just pop the new card in and go?

Or do I have to follow the standard procedure of removing the old drivers, uninstalling the card, putting the new one in, installing the basic drivers, and then updating those drivers? Do I have to do anything in Device Manager or delete any ATI folders?

Would my computer let me swap identical cards or do I have to do anything on the computer before he puts the new card in?

It is the exact same card, I have been told.

8dalejr.fan

Thanks for the info, JohnWill. I'm expecting Dell to send the exact same card and all, that is what they said to me.

But if they give me a different card (worst case scenario), how do I change video cards? I know I have to uninstall the drivers first if that was the case, but do you have to remove the card from Device Manager or anything if the card was a different model?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You can uninstall the drivers and install the new drivers. Usually, you can drop a new video card in, boot up, and Windows will complain about no drivers. After you deal with that, you can remove the old drivers.

8dalejr.fan said:
Thanks for the info, JohnWill. I'm expecting Dell to send the exact same card and all, that is what they said to me.

But if they give me a different card (worst case scenario), how do I change video cards? I know I have to uninstall the drivers first if that was the case, but do you have to remove the card from Device Manager or anything if the card was a different model?
have the tech do it you paid for it.

I agree. Make the tech do it and sort it out if there is an issue after installing it. Might want to observe the procedure so you know what to do next time.

JohnWill answered you correctly. It should work right away if its the exact same card.

8dalejr.fan

Yeah, ok cool. I was going to have the tech to everything anyways, I was just curious as to what would be going on. Thanks for the info guys!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online