1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

swapping a hard drive...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by daves01902, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. daves01902

daves01902 Thread Starter

I have 3 hard drives in my system, two 30GB and a 120GB.
    The 120GB is SATA, so I'm not even touching that one.
    The two 30GB drive are both IDE, and I want to swap out one of those with a 120GB IDE drive....
    I cleared the drive that I want to swap out, but I'm just not sure which one it is hardware wise. In disk management, I have 3 drives listed,
    disk 0, which is the one I want to stay,
    disk 1, whih is the one I want to swap out,
    disk 2, the 120GB SATA.

So, I cleared all the data off of disk 1, which is the one I want to swap, so how do I know which one I have to change hardware wise. Which drive on the IDE cable is it?

If someone can help me out, I would appreciate it!

2. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

Are the IDE drives by different manufacturers? If so, you can locate the manufacturer name of the drive you want to yank, drive 1 in this case, and look for that label on the physical drive.

Peace...

3. Kenny Gates

Kenny Gates

you could always just remove both ide drives and read the sticker on the top of them, if there both identical just keep one plugged in, if its the one you want then there you go, if not just swap it with the other one.

Kenny

4. kfinpgh

kfinpgh

multiple IDE drives can be set up with jumpers or with cable select.

Jumpers are for master (drive 0) and slave (drive 1). You will need to examine the rear of both drives to determine which is which. You might need to pull them to check jumper settings. Jumper diagrams are usually printed on the drive case. If not, consult the drive maker's website for info.

Cable select is a bit more direct. Master is on the end of the cable and slave uses the mid-cable connector.

5. Dan Penny

Dan Penny

Open Device Manager. Click on View, choose "Show devices by connection".

Expand the "system" until you see "whatever_name ATA Storage Controller". Expand that, and the Primary and Secondary IDE channels, and it will tell you where the drive is.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701347

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice