Swapping chips between motherboards of different brands?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Werevampiwolf

Hello,
This is my first post here and I'm Pi. My computer is rather old and I'm poor. So far I've done all the repairs and maintenance on it myself, but I need some advice.
My current CPU is a Intel Pentium 3558U @ 1.70GHz chip, and it's come to my attention that it's no longer adequate for my needs. With research, I've found that the Intel Core i7-4510U @ 2.00GHz is compatible with my system and an improvement. I've been shopping around and can't find just the chip anywhere for sale, and the Acer motherboards that I've found with it installed cost almost three times what I bought my computer for four years ago. I did find a significantly cheaper listing (~$70) for a motherboard for a Levanono with the same CPU.
Does anyone know what would happen if I bought that motherboard, removed the CPU and used it to replace my current CPU?

I'm having trouble uploading the file, but my computer is an Acer Aspire E1-532, running Windows 10 Home, with 8GB RAM

Attachments

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
That is almost impossible to answer. There's 2 things that come into play when we are dealing with CPU swaps on OEM systems:

1. The OEM may have locked the support of the BIOS to where the new chip isn't supported.
2. The chip may PHYSICALLY fit into the socket, but without BIOS support it won't work.

You would have to research and make sure that YOUR ORIGINAL motherboard is compatible with the i7 cpu, and would have BIOS support for it. If you can't seem to find any DEFINITIVE information on this, then the only other thing you could do is "try it and see."

Werevampiwolf

My research indicates that the chip I'm looking for is compatible with my original motherboard. Basically, what I'm trying to find out is if a i7-4510U for an Acer the same as a i7-4510U for a Levono? Logic would say yes, but capitalism could easily mean the answer is no.

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
Ok, in that case I already answered that question above.

BIOS support will dictate compatibility. OEM's lock their Bio ''junkunit to prevent CPU swapping so you have to buy a new system with a higher end CPU.

When you build your own system using a retail board, you get a retail BIOS. So whatever CPU will PHYSICALLY fit in the socket will almost always be supported.

OverTallman

Jacky
That is almost impossible to answer. There's 2 things that come into play when we are dealing with CPU swaps on OEM systems:

1. The OEM may have locked the support of the BIOS to where the new chip isn't supported.
2. The chip may PHYSICALLY fit into the socket, but without BIOS support it won't work.

You would have to research and make sure that YOUR ORIGINAL motherboard is compatible with the i7 cpu, and would have BIOS support for it. If you can't seem to find any DEFINITIVE information on this, then the only other thing you could do is "try it and see."
I wonder why you haven't realized both CPUs are BGA i.e. soldered to motherboard :cautious: That alone can ALMOST wipe out any chance to swap them, unless OP has a BGA soldering station.

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
I wonder why you haven't realized both CPUs are BGA i.e. soldered to motherboard :cautious: That alone can ALMOST wipe out any chance to swap them, unless OP has a BGA soldering station.
ROFL.....indeed. I guess that what happens when you go without sleep for too long! Thanks for pointing that out!

Yup, that existing cpu is a FCBGA1168 part which means it has 1168 solder points on the bottom of the CPU! Without some serious equipment and experience, that CPU is not going to get upgraded.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online