1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Swapping Graphics cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by magnocain, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. magnocain

magnocain Thread Starter

My current desktop has an awful graphics card (ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics, 256 Mb), and I have been wanting a new one I can play games, but the newer ones have to be played on minimum settings. On Black Friday, my family bought a new desktop PC. The other day, I noticed that the specs of the graphics card (AMD Radeon HD 6410D Graphics) on the new PC was better than the one in mine! I want to swap the two cards. I would be able to play games better on my PC with this new card. My family would benefit my being able to watch the PC the the big TV downstairs (my old card has an HDMI port, where the new one does not).

I want to know if I can just swap them out. Could it really be that simple? I'm am afraid that I will permanently ruin both PCs. I don't much experience with graphics cards, and any tips would be much appreciated.

Thank You.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Most consumer level desktops come with integrated graphics and not a video card.

Have you determined if both desktops have a video card?

If they do, do they use the same type slot - PCI, AGP, PCI Express, etc.?

-----------------------------------------------------------

3. magnocain

magnocain Thread Starter

It is looking like both are integrated. There goes that idea. I guess that I'll just have to buy a new one.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I suspected one or both desktops had integrated graphics.

If you plan to install a video card in the older desktop, make sure the power supply can handle it.

If the power supply can't handle it, the desktop won't start or the monitor won't display or you may have other issues.

-----------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084033

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice