Swapping Hard Drives

Taras49

The battery in my older HP laptop is not charging; if I remove the hard drive (which I am capable of doing), and install it into another laptop will the receiving laptop behave like the old laptop?

TerryNet

Terry
A hard drive should not impact a laptop charging or not charging.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You also cannot remove a hard drive containing a Windows operating system from one laptop and install it in another laptop.
If you do, that other laptop will likely display an error/warning message when you power it on.

-------------------------------------------------

Couriant

James
Take out the battery and use the AC adapter only. If the computer does not boot up, then the issue is with the AC adapter. However, more than likely it's the battery, especially if the computer is old.

This link should also apply to you, so please do this before removing the battery:
Check the battery before starting windows

Couriant

James
If you get a pass or calibrate, then your battery should be fine, however here are the other states the test will show:

1603381631846.png

If it shows Weak or Replace, then you need to replace the battery.

Taras49

I did a little trouble shooting and found that the DC Jack was faulty; I was able to get the broken jack out, copied the serial number on the tag and ordered a new one. We'll see if I disturbed anything while taking it out (it doesn't appear so) or if I break something putting the new DC Jack in.
Thanks for the advice

Couriant

James
I did a little trouble shooting and found that the DC Jack was faulty; I was able to get the broken jack out, copied the serial number on the tag and ordered a new one. We'll see if I disturbed anything while taking it out (it doesn't appear so) or if I break something putting the new DC Jack in.
Thanks for the advice
I have found laptops to have a detachable port so I think you should be fine :) I have had to repair on on a Dell with relative ease.

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I've had to desolder and replace some, but the ones on a cable are soooo much easier!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!