Solved Swapping MS Exchange to IMAP/POP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

KimKinnison

Is there a way to change an email address from MS Exchange to a regular Outlook IMAP/POP account?

Couriant

James
Depends if the server if they have IMAP or POP enabled. Though IMAP is basically exchange.

KimKinnison

Depends if the server if they have IMAP or POP enabled. Though IMAP is basically exchange.
I was setting up an outlook email account as an IMAP and when I went to open the email account it showed up as an Exchange account. The account I set up before that one came out IMAP as desired. What might have happened to cause this?

Couriant

James
It may have changed automatically if you are using Outlook app as I believe Microsoft uses Exchange for their accounts. To confirm, is the account an Outlook.com account or Outlook 365?

KimKinnison

It may have changed automatically if you are using Outlook app as I believe Microsoft uses Exchange for their accounts. To confirm, is the account an Outlook.com account or Outlook 365?
The account is Outlook.com though I'm using the Office 365 suite for everything else.

KimKinnison

The email is supposed to be simply an Outlook.com account though I' using the Microsoft 365 suite for my other office and personal work.

Couriant

James
I may have to test this but if you did it automatically (i.e. let Outlook set it up) then it looks like it will be Exchange. You will need to select this open to set it to IMAP.

1636128576845.png

Again, there is no real benefit to use IMAP as Exchange does the same thing. POP on the other hand is if you want offline data.

KimKinnison

I don't use an exchange server since this is a personal account. Does this make any difference between connecting through Exchange or IMAP. I just want to be able to see my emails on my other devices if I need to and to send them being synced to each device.

Couriant

James
I don't use an exchange server since this is a personal account. Does this make any difference between connecting through Exchange or IMAP. I just want to be able to see my emails on my other devices if I need to and to send them being synced to each device.
What I mean is the Microsoft server is Exchange. That is how they set up the accounts for Outlook.com/Hotmail etc.

You will need to delete the current mailbox from Outlook and re-add it as IMAP or POP if you want to use those but there is really no need. Exchange is best, especially if you have more than 1 device connect to it.

KimKinnison

I'll give this a try. I'm a bit bummed that aliases cannot be recycled because if I do delete the exchange address and convert to IMAP, then the alias tied to the exchange is lost forever also any aliases tied to IMAP or POP accounts. I've used the same aliases for ages and it would be like losing an old friend to retire them for new ones.

KimKinnison

I have an alias email address under another email which is set up as my primary account. Is there a way to free this secondary alias from the primary to become its own separate account?
Also is there a way to locate any email addresses that I have under Microsoft 365 as opposed to OUtlook.com, Exchange, or IMAP?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online