swapping RAM with friend to test for failure

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

wendigo6x3

Is this a safe idea? there are so many possible paths that my computer problem may branch from, possible RAM failure being one of them. Is it safe to swap DDR RAM to see if it works on his computer?

You shouldn't have a problem unless its an uncompatable ram/mobo problem.

As suggested, why not run memtest (overnight if possible) to check for errors.

wendigo6x3

to answer your 'why the hassle' question, its because i have a usb keyboard that wont run when a bootable disc is in.

It is not the RAM some bootable CD's do not like USB keyboards because the USB if any might not load in the right spot or at all. As for taking your RAM somewhere else it is HIGHLY not advisable, The RAM is extremely static sensitive and more than likely will be damaged by ESD = Electro-Static Discharge and will eventually stop working all together. Leave your RAM where is this is where it is safe and sound.

wendigo6x3

The_Oracle said:
check the BIOS and make sure USB Legacy Support is set to enabled.
i am an idiot, how do i do this? and if this is enabled, will it boot up the usb drives before it boots up the bootable disc?>

to enter the BIOS Setup Utility, most computers respond to F2 or DEL during the POST screen. and no, this setting is not responsible for booting from USB devices but your keyboard will become usable even if there are no drivers loaded by an operating system.

How'd you go with this wendi?

When they said enter into the BIOS which is like the main control hub for your computer they meant to tap F2 or DEL on your keyboard right as your computer starts up when you power it on. In that menu you should be able to move around (with your USB keyboard?) and find the option to turn that USB legacy on. Then you will have to exit and save changes and see if that does the job.

Just out of curiosity, what problem with your computer are you having?

Maybe we can help with that instead of having to muck around with getting your USB keyboard to work in memtest...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online