1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Swapping WindowsXP installations

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tevbev, Jan 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tevbev

tevbev Thread Starter

Hello all:

I just spent an aggravating half hour trying to get to a page at Microsoft that might be of some help on the possibility of swapping WindowsXP version installations, but had no luck.

Does anyone know if it is permissible to swap versions of XP installations? I have XP Professional running on a laptop with limited storage and memory. (This laptop installation was done before I had the huskier desktop, and was a gift from my son.) I have XP Home on a desktop that has a lot of storage and memory, and is all-around a much more capable machine. I would like to swap Professional to the desktop and put Home edition on the laptop. Is this a feasible undertaking, and would Mr. Gates have a kitten if I did this?

Both WindowsXP versions are bought and paid for(and registered) and have been in use for some time.

Additionally, I am considering upgrading the hard drive in the laptop from its present 6GB to a 60 GB drive, and using the present 6gb unit as a back-up drive. Drive Solutions has a neat product to do the copying and transfer of data, then house the old drive and make it usable as the USB back-up/storage drive.

Does this sound like a logical move? Thanks for any input.

TEVBEV

2. 1_rob_1

1_rob_1

I think you can if both your versions of xp are retail, but if they are oem, yes Bill Gates will have kittens.

3. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, You can try- Microsoft policy on doing OEM moves differs depending on who you talk to when you are activating the new install on a different machine. If you explain nicely that you are not using the same install on two machines, and merely are removing Pro and installing Home, they should let you activate that one.

Then, you would have to do the other machine, and explain what you are doing....removed Home and want to use Pro. It has been done- and posted about several times here that even with OEM copies, Microsoft will often give you a new activation provided they agree with what you explain to them. Will not work unless they are copies you bought (did not come with branded computers that were preinstalled with XP). I think you stated what you had, so I would advise you to try. I don't see any way to find out beforehand.

You can always go back to what you have now.

This reactivation also can be done when your system bites the dust- they allow a new activation if you had to do a major repair, and XP balked at starting up or activation and you had to call in. Just depends on who you get to talk to.

4. 1_rob_1

1_rob_1

I still dont think MS would like this idea if both installations are oem, the op sys is 'married' to the mobo it was first installed on. The only way MS should reactivate if you are using a different mobo is if the mobo had to be replaced because it had failed. (different pcs - different mobo)
    But as Byteman says, sometimes it depends who you talk to at MS. If you do go ahead and MS wont allow the change, ring them up again, they have a lot of different helpdesk staff, you may get lucky.

5. tevbev

tevbev Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies Byteman and 1_rob_1. I did a search for posts before I started this thread, but didn't come up with anything. I will try some other combinations. Thanks for the info.

Both copies (XP Home & Professional) that I would be considering installing/swapping are bought-and-paid-for real. In fact, I still have the documentation and verification on all Windows issues going back to 3.1 It grates me a little to have to go through all this crap just to be able to use a product that I have bought and paid for in the manner that I want to use it without having to bow to the computer god. Maybe Gates should get off of a billion or so to come up with an effective method of foiling the counterfeiters.

The copy of Professional would be moved from a Compac Presario laptop (that originally had Windows ME installed), to a Dell Dimension 8400 that presently has an oem installation of XP Home installed by Dell. I would be far more able to use Professional (and the Dell) to its full capability if XP Professional were on the Dell, with all the capability the Dell has.

The XP Home Edition that would then be installed on the Compaq laptop was originally installed as an upgrade (to Windows ME) on an ULTRA PC - a Celeron 466 mhz based desktop that is no longer used except for keeping old files on that I didn't want to clutter the Dell with, mainly because it was no longer able to do the job. The Ultra would then revert to Windows ME, which I also bought, and have the Microsoft product key and CD SET numbers for.

I would merely like to have the flexibility to use products that I have legally purchased in the manner that best serves my purpose and need, without all the complications.

In all fairness, I hjaven't contacted Microsoft about this yet, because I didn't know where/who to to start. I still don't have that information, but you both have helped with your comments. Thanks again.

TEVBEV

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

I think the place to start is to just start the reinstall and update.
    When it fails to authorize .. you'll have to call M$ and explain that you're moving the OS to a new Puter.
    You'll have to do this for each move.
    Hope you get someone on the phone who speaks English.

If I were doing this - I'd make an Acronis recovery for each computer, just in case I got someone who didn't understand english or the rules.

7. Byteman

Here's what I mean:

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-n...re.html?highlight=fresh+install+XP+activation

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-n...on.html?highlight=fresh+install+XP+activation

That's only two of many about this topic. Let me know if you want more.

The best thread about the subject I can't find now, but will post it when I find it again..

The person helping out in that one has moved XP Home OEMs many times...he does this since he upgrades his computers, often changing to a whole new box, motherboard etc....and has been given activations, after talking with Microsoft reps and explaining. Doesn't mean he cheats...he nukes the install on the old computer and installs fresh on a new> I know, OEMs are supposed to be tied to one machine> but, some of the Microsoft people allow it. If you had something like a dead HP and could not repair it, or reinstall, and bought a new motherboard that was NOT THE SAME exact make and model you would have to install an OEM or retail unused copy. If you did use the same exact motherboard, your HP reinstall would work and not need activating.
    I have that type of system and have done an install to a new hard drive, it did not require activation at all.
    That may be because the 120 day hardware checking period expired- you get a fresh start, after 120 days of running in a somewhat changed hardware environment, the new environment becomes the starting point, just as if you had installed fresh in that environment.

The ins and outs of all kinds of XP reinstalls and a lot to do with activation are well covered here:

http://aumha.org/win5/kbwin2k.php

Scroll down the page. There is so much info at that site I still have not read it all....

MOVING an OEM copy is allowed but I have also seen many posts where they were refused! Depends on who you talk to and the circumstances and how many times you have moved, or begged for activation in the past.

If the motherboard on your own custom built machine died, and you had to install a different motherboard, you would install from the same OEM legal CD and you would be prompted to call in, since that copy has been activated once in a different hardware environment> it is up to the Microsoft rep what happens from then on.
    Reading the threads I posted, what is your impression? Do you believe them? Why not ask those people by PM or email, see what they tell you about re-activating in a new computer with OEM disks.

8. win2kpro

win2kpro

If the XP Professional was originally installed on the Compaq as an upgrade to Windows ME you should have no problem using the XP Professional upgrade disk to upgrade the Dell from XP Home to XP Professional since the XP Professional is a retail disk. You should be able to do this IF the XP Professional is not installed on 2 systems at the same time.

Legally, you could not move the OEM copy of XP Home from the Dell machine to the Compaq machine. Even if Microsoft allows it, I believe you are going to have difficulty installing the Dell installation disk on a Compaq machine.

9. Byteman

The XP Home Edition that would then be installed on the Compaq laptop was originally installed as an upgrade (to Windows ME) on an ULTRA PC

From this, it appears XP Home is not a Dell install?

They are replacing/upgrading Home on the Dell with the Pro, and want to move OEM Home to Compaq laptop.

If the XP Home is from/ came with the Dell 8400, then no, it's not OK, but it just looks like it is not to me.

Maybe tevbev will post back and clarify this- was your XP Home a store bought copy?
    We'd like to be able to give the correct advice to you!

10. win2kpro

win2kpro

I re-read all the posts and now understand the situation better.

If both XP Pro and XP Home are upgrades she can do pretty well what she wants to since upgrades are retail editions.

She could install XP Pro on the Dell using the OEM XP Home on the Dell as the upgrade criteria.

Since the Compaq originally had ME, if the XP Home is an upgrade edition she could put XP Home on the Compaq and use the OEM Windows ME as the upgrade criteria.

All she would need would be the XP Home upgrade, the XP Pro upgrade, the XP Home OEM, and the ME OEM.

11. win2kpro

win2kpro

I should have added that she uses the XP Home on the Compaq then she could no longer use the XP Home on the Ultra but it didn't seem that she was interested in the Ultra.

As I previously stated if XP Home is an upgrade (retail disk) then although it could be legally installed on the Compaq I still believe the way Compaq sets up their computers she will encounter a problem obtaining the motherboard drivers which are normally contained in the Compaq restoration disk.

12. Byteman

Hi win2kpro, That's correct, The Ultra would then revert to Windows ME, which I also bought, and have the Microsoft product key and CD SET numbers for.

The ULTRA pc is not part of the XP picture, at least in the "planning" stage anyway!

tevbev-About the Compaq- good idea to look up the specific information at the HP/Compaq shared website for the exact model of Presario laptop you have.

And, not only drivers are an issue with laptops. Most use hidden partitions for a small hibernate partition, among other things like battery monitoring software.

Are you aware of just what your Compaq uses regarding things like above? Does Compaq/HP website list drivers you can download that will work with what operating system you plan to try?
    They may not exist for XP, and unless you can use specific drivers from the manufacturer, or generic ones, some things may not work.

I've installed just plain win98se on some OLDER Compaqs, but it was a time consuming process and I got lucky, Compaq had a small tool that rebuilt the extra partition which I mistakenly fdisked.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/433820

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice