1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

swen worm virus

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by honeyv, Oct 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. honeyv

honeyv Thread Starter

My friend is running os win 98 and has just got the Swen Virus instead of waiting she tried to delete the files it had corrupted. In the process she deleted an obviously much needed application which says ufgac.exe: and nothing opens it is saying we dont have it. Is there somewhere I can download it again as I have got the tool to remedy virus but without this application it wont allow me to do it. We are just novices so any help would be much appreciated.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

That is the viral file; if it is deleted before a registry fix is run programs will not open until the necessary repairs are made. I will move this to the Antivirus forum. Please see the post at the top for help in restoring the system.

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

A quick repair for this might be to click Shutdown > Restart in MS-DOS mode.

At the c:\windows> prompt enter:

scanreg /restore

Use the arrow keys to select a started registry from one of the first four displayed which PREDATES the infection

This should repair the registry.

If no dates are available, she can try registry patches I linked to in the Swen repair thread, or try this one I am attaching.

It must be downloaded and RENAMED:

swen.inf

If the icon does not change from a text icon it has not been renamed correctly

Once it has it can be right clicked on and "install" selected.

Then reboot the computer.

Attached Files:

• swen.txt
      File size:
      586 bytes
      Views:
  4. honeyv

honeyv Thread Starter

We tried that and it keeps saying that we require the missing ufgac.exe: she deleted without knowing what she was doing and everything I have tried tells me it needs this particular application. Do we need to get a new hard drive or can this one be saved.

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Tried what? I suggested several things. Please be specific.

That IS the viral file. The registries shell open commands for exe and other files have been altered to refer to it. You will not be able to run the Symantec repair tool until certain registry repairs are made. Those registry entries must be repaired either manually, by scanreg /restore or using a patch such as I referred to.

This is entirely fixable, but we must focus on the registry repair first.

6. honeyv

honeyv Thread Starter

ms dos is not working at all wont let me in requires missing app and the patch wont work because I am downloading on to my pc and then trying to work it on her pc wont let me open anything the same message keeps appearing. So the most it will let me do is turn it on.

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Don't try restarting in DOS then. Shutdown completely (this way the exit to dos.pif file is not accessed, I forgot about that).

After shutting down. Restart and press and hold the ctrl key until you see the boot menu. Select the Command Prompt option from the boot menu.

At the c:> prompt enter

scanreg /restore

note the space afer the 'g' and the forward slash.

Use the arrow keys to select a prior started registry. Don't try to select the 5th one in the list, it will usually fail. Hopefully the infection has not been on the system longer than 4 days. If it has, this will probably not work.

If this doesen't work, and she still has internet access, then download the patch in this thread and follow those intructions.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171333

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice