1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

swflash.ocx issue

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by theproducer5, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theproducer5

theproducer5 Thread Starter

May 18, 2002
    when i surf the web, i get this alert every once in awhile: could not find the file"swflash.ocx". i found out what the file was and tried multiple solutions to getting rid of it. nothing has helped. i've uninstalled and reinstalled flash player several times, even tried finding the file itself on my hard drive and moving it to the recommended folder. nothing going there. anyone have any suggestions?

i run windows xp sp2, use netscape 7.2, flash player 7.0. thanks.
  2. crushbone

Aug 5, 2004
  3. LuckyStrike

Nov 2, 2004

I have found the best way to solve flash problems is to remove all traces of flash and then reinstall. The flash uninstaller leaves a lot behind, including the flash plug in. If the flash plug in is corrupted, then not only will flash not work, but the corrupted plug in will cause subsequent attempts to reinstall flash to fail.

What I would suggest is that you download the Flash 7.0 Uninstaller and run it. Then search for and delete all instances of flash.ocx and swflash.ocx from your computer. Then open windows explorer and browse to C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files and find the shockwave flash object activex control, right click on it and select "remove". Then reboot your computer and Reinstall Flash 7.0 .
  4. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

May 12, 2002
    Do a "find" for

Right-click each one, then click Properties - Version(tab).

If the version number is not, right-click the file, then click Delete - Yes.

You will likely find that all of the swflash.ocx files are out of date. The current version number will be in a flash.ocx file.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322815