Switch 2 monitors back and forth between 2 computers

wec3

Hi...the subject line sounds easy enough with a KVM switch...but i think it's more complicated than that.

The set up:
  • I have a work laptop with 2 external monitors attached via a usb-c hub so I have 3 screens (laptop's plus the 2 external, let's call those W1 and W2). Those three screens are in front of me.
  • On the same desk i have my personal desktop with a monitor attached. That monitor is off to the side, let's call it monitor P.

What i would like to do if possible is have ONE of the monitors attached to the work computer be switchable to the personal computer and the monitor currently attached to the personal computer switchable to the work computer...To make what's on the personal computer easier to read if working on it for a long time.

So: In short, ALL FOUR screens still on, but monitor P and monitor W1 would switch which computer they're connected to when need be so that what WAS on W1 is now on P and what WAS on P is on W1. I'd like it to be able to go back and forth as my work needs change.

I'm THINKING it may require 2 KVM switches OR it may require something else entirely! OR maybe it will just be too complicated and stupid!

Any advice would be appreciated!

Couriant

James
A KVM in theory should work between the PC and Dock. What monitor ports do you have to use from PC and Dock?

wec3

• The monitor (P) from the PC is connected right to the PC...single monitor (VGA to HDMI)
  • The monitor that is connected to the laptop that i want switchable (W1) is connected to the dock (also VGA to HDMI).

wec3

Yes, sorry, i should have mentioned which side had the VGA side, you are correct...monitors have the VGA inputs, PC and dock have the HDMI outputs.

Actually, my keyboard and mouse are bluetooth and switch back and forth with a button so that's not a real issue unless I want another keyboard (which I may...this bluetooth one is just a little light for my tastes).

THANKS so much! I'll check out that product and update here with my results!

Couriant

James
Yes, sorry, i should have mentioned which side had the VGA side, you are correct...monitors have the VGA inputs, PC and dock have the HDMI outputs.

Actually, my keyboard and mouse are bluetooth and switch back and forth with a button so that's not a real issue unless I want another keyboard (which I may...this bluetooth one is just a little light for my tastes).

THANKS so much! I'll check out that product and update here with my results!
no problem! You may need to get a powered KVM if the VGA/HDMI ones can't power the device.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online