1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

switch and home computers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by shay, Feb 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shay

shay Thread Starter

Hi. I am posting for my friend who is trying to network his 2 home computers. He had a hub and everything worked fine. The hub died and he bought a netgear FS108 switch and he can get internet on 2nd computer, but cannot file share. He runs 2 different os, one is 98, one is XP. Neither of us are very knowledgable about what we are doing, however, I have had some semesters in Cisco. Does he have to assign ports on these switches, or anything like that? Or should we go back to the store and start over?
    Thank you so much for all of your help. I don't know what I'd do without all of you out there.
    Sincerely,
    Shay

2. Anthony2816

Anthony2816

My home network (5 computers, fast ethernet) was using a Linksys 5-port hub, and I just recently replaced the Linksys with a Gigafast 5-port switch. The change was completely transparent to the computers. I just switched them back on, and I didn't have to alter anything. Aside from the network traffic not colliding as much (something I don't even know how to measure), it was as if nothing had been changed.

3. Del

Del

Does he have file and printer sharing enabled in the network?
    Does he have the same workgroup on both?
    Does he have the HDD setup for sharing?
    Do you Netbeui for sharing files, if so, is it on both computer?

4. shay

shay Thread Starter

So, now I can't reach him. There is a sticky story in all of this. So sorry for the bother to you guys. Next time I will think twice before I post and waste your time. You guys have been great.
    Sincerely,
    Shay:)

5. Del

Del

Post back if you can get access to the compter. We really need to have someone try stuff and give us the results to help.
    Have a great one!!
    :p

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118110

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice