Solved Switch Configuration Help packet tracer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ap2bct

Hello People,

I need help, I am on the verge of tears.
I am using packet tracer to setup a switch but I cant ping the switch and its mac address table is not populating.
I have uploaded my configs for my switch IP and VLANs can someone have a look please?

upload_2016-4-14_12-3-10.png

Thanks,

Amin

Attachments

keltic1der

Donald
Is that the entire config file? If so, you did not create vlan 1 or vlan3. You created vlan2

Switch# configure terminal
Switch(config)# vlan 1
Switch(config-vlan)# name Accounting
Switch(config-vlan)# end

ap2bct

Is that the entire config file? If so, you did not create vlan 1 or vlan3. You created vlan2

Switch# configure terminal
Switch(config)# vlan 1
Switch(config-vlan)# name Accounting
Switch(config-vlan)# end

Hi, Vlan 1 is the native interface. I though this was the config for native vlan 1

S1(config)#interface vlan 1
S1(config-if)#ip address 10.221.4.1 255.255.255.0
S1(config-if)#no shutdown
S1(config-if)#exit
S1(config)#ip default-gateway 10.221.1.1

To create the Vlan 2 and 3

S1(config)#vlan 2
S1(config-vlan)#Name Accounting
S1(config-vlan)#exit
S1(config)#vlan 3
S1(config-vlan)#Name HR
S1(config-vlan)#exit

To assign the Vlan 2 and config the interface

S1(config)#interface fa0/1
S1(config-if)#duplex 100
S1(config-if)#duplex full
S1(config-if)#speed 100
S1(config-if)#switchport mode access
S1(config-if)#switchport access vlan 2
S1(config-if)#exit

To assign the Vlan 3 and config the interface

S1(config)#interface fa0/2
S1(config-if)#duplex full
S1(config-if)#speed 100
S1(config-if)#switchport mode access
S1(config-if)#switchport access vlan 3
S1(config-if)#exit

I have attached the full configuration for the switch

thanks

Attachments

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Donald, the OP did create the other VLANs.

ap2bct, your config is not going to work no matter what you do because you're using a layer 2 switch based on the name you've given it in the topology diagram. The 2960 can only have one IP on one VLAN. You need to use a layer 3 switch and then create an SVI for each VLAN on the respective subnets for each of the PCs.

keltic1der

Donald
It has been about 6 years since I configured a switch.. Trying to remember.. I suffer from Irish Timers..

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
It has been about 6 years since I configured a switch.. Trying to remember.. I suffer from Irish Timers..
Cisco changed how VLANs are created. They moved away from having to do vlan database and then creating the vlans from there. It's now all done from the global config aspect.

ap2bct

Donald, the OP did create the other VLANs.

ap2bct, your config is not going to work no matter what you do because you're using a layer 2 switch based on the name you've given it in the topology diagram. The 2960 can only have one IP on one VLAN. You need to use a layer 3 switch and then create an SVI for each VLAN on the respective subnets for each of the PCs.
Hi zx10guy, Sorry the name of the switch is the IP address of the switch native vlan 1 (I named it that so I know what is what) and no other IP will be configured on it. Below is what I want my topology to look like (the red dot is there cause I have not configured it yet)
10.221.2.2 = VLAN 2
10.221.3.2 = VLAN 3
Switch 10.221.4.1 = Native VLAN 1, switch IP address.

upload_2016-4-14_12-41-1.png

Thanks for the reply,

ap2bct

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
It's making more sense with the topology diagram you posted above. But you're not going to see anything until you finish building out the rest of the network. Based on what I'm seeing above, the switches will only be able to ping each other and that's it.

Is this homework?

ap2bct

It's making more sense with the topology diagram you posted above. But you're not going to see anything until you finish building out the rest of the network. Based on what I'm seeing above, the switches will only be able to ping each other and that's it.

Is this homework?
No not homework, I am self studying CCNA ICND1 while also working ):
I am trying to ping 10.221.2.2 to the Switch 10.221.4.1 that wont work, is that normal?

Thanks

ap2bct

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
It won't unless you have a routing path to both subnets. If you used a subnet mask of /16 or 255.255.0.0 then yes, it will work. Since you're using a /24 or 255.255.255.0, it won't work. This is strictly at the layer 3 IP level. From a layer 2 standpoint, the way you have it is broken there too. VLANs are used to create logical layer 2 separation. Having the switch's IP on VLAN1 is going to shield it from any other VLAN traffic. With the above, you have a device on VLAN 2 trying to communicate to something 0n VLAN 1. this won't work. To have communications work between VLANs you have to add a layer 3/routing device.

So the answer to your question above, yes, it's normal with the setup you have.

ap2bct

It won't unless you have a routing path to both subnets. If you used a subnet mask of /16 or 255.255.0.0 then yes, it will work. Since you're using a /24 or 255.255.255.0, it won't work. This is strictly at the layer 3 IP level. From a layer 2 standpoint, the way you have it is broken there too. VLANs are used to create logical layer 2 separation. Having the switch's IP on VLAN1 is going to shield it from any other VLAN traffic. With the above, you have a device on VLAN 2 trying to communicate to something 0n VLAN 1. this won't work. To have communications work between VLANs you have to add a layer 3/routing device.

So the answer to your question above, yes, it's normal with the setup you have.
Ahhh the penny has dropped, much appreciated :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online