1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Switch Primary Monitor from Laptop to External-Without Looking at the Primary Monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nomonitor, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nomonitor

nomonitor Thread Starter

When my laptop is plugged into an external monitor, the laptop screen is the "primary" display, where programs automatically open, etc. Is there a way to make the primary display not the laptop screen but the external monitor screen? Here's the catch--is there a way to do it *without looking at the primary monitor*?

I have this strange request because my laptop's screen recently died. I have connected an external monitor, and so can still use the computer--more or less. The problem is that I can't see my start menu, etc--they are all on the laptop screen, ie, the dead one.

I know, normally, how to switch the display: I would right click on the desktop and select "personalize," then "display" But when I do this, it opens the display in the primary monitor (the broken laptop monitor) and I can't see it to change the settings. It's a sad catch 22.

If anyone could help me with this is would REALLY appreciate it. Thank you.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi nomonitor, and welcome to TSG

Check your user manual for the laptop to see if has has a special key or a Function key that lets you toggle between the internal display and external monitor.

3. nomonitor

nomonitor Thread Starter

Thanks Chuck--that's a great suggestion. In theory, when I hit the Fn key + F7, this should cause it to switch; there is even a picture of two monitors on the F7 key! But for some reason, when I hit Fn + F7 nothing happens. As I recall, when I "upgraded" this computer from xp to vista many of the function keys stopped working. I didn't use these keys much, though, so I didn't think much of it at the time. I could try to track down a driver or something that may make the Fn keys work, but it would be really hard, perhaps impossible, for me to install it without looking at the primary monitor. I really appreciate the suggestion though.

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Well, that shoots down the two ways that I can think of to switch between the built-in and external display. Maybe somebody here that is familiar with Sony Vaio laptops can offer some other option.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975539

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice