1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Switch/Router Bottleneck?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TechNerd4, May 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TechNerd4

TechNerd4 Thread Starter

Quick question...

When you connect a switch to an uplink port on a router, does any bottleneck occur? For example, if you have a 24-port unmanaged switch connected to a single port on a router, will the single port on the router be able to handle 23 ports worth of network traffic coming to it from the switch? This is a gigabit network setup.

It seems that 23 ports of heavy network traffic being directed through one single port may cause some bottle neck.

Thanks in advance!

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

1 Gbps / 23 = 46.7 Mbps minimum per port.

TechNerd4 likes this.
  3. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

There needs to be more information on the specific scenario. You need to specify what the speed of the ISP circuit. Chances are you'll be limited more by the ISP circuit than any bottle neck of the single 1 Gb uplink connection. This is also assuming worst case scenario of all 23 devices accessing the Internet at the same time.

TechNerd4 likes this.
  4. TechNerd4

TechNerd4 Thread Starter

The Internet speed is 1Gpbs via Comcast so it hits 900-970mbps down and 35mbps up. Only a few of the LAN clients that would be connected to the switch are gigabit capable (NAS, iMac, AppleTV), the rest are 100mpbs clients (VoIP, printer, AppleTV for AirPlay to a speaker, Hue bridge). And some of these wouldn’t be accessing the Internet, only LAN. Some clients would be accessing the the local network via WiFi, however, which would go through the router.

The simple explanation of dividing 1Gbps by 23 = 46.7Mbps provides clarity and makes sense. Given the makeup of my very small in-home network, it doesn’t seem there would ever be a bottle neck with the 1Gbps of bandwidth available and many of the clients being LAN only which would be communicating directly via the switch and not going through the router for WAN access.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    You would also need to think about the upload too. 35Mbps / 23 = 1.52Mbps. If your upload gets used, you will see bottle neck. And that's if all ports are used concurrently.

6. zx10guy

I personally think you'll be fine. James brings up a very good point about upload speed for Comcast.

I also have Comcast service and have been contemplating going from their Blast service to their Gig service. My contracted speeds are 250Mb down and 10Mb up. My entire network runs on a minimum of 1 Gig with the faster connection speeds at 40 Gig on my wired segments. I don't have any issues at all. The reason why I am thinking about upgrading is not for the 1 Gig down but for the 35 Mb up. I host a bunch of different services on my network and the upload speed is more critical. And the cost to upgrade is only about $10 to 20 more a month over what I'm paying now. But so far I've been able to make due with the 10 Mb up service.

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Never a pretty sight if you have VoIP service that is not from your ISP and your upload has been maxed out... seen it too many times on residential plans at the time when the highest was 5 or 10Mbps... In theory you have the average speed that can be used. In practice, you should be fine unless you are doing some kind of business or constant up/downloading.

zx, I would say stay on the blast until you start to see longer ping/loading times. I'm sure that Comcast has the ability to check the modem for utilization... be hard pressed not to believe it since I could in the place I worked at.

8. zx10guy

Thanks for the comment. I might do it because it's not that much more per month to get the better promised performance. I already bought a DOCSIS 3.1 modem and have it running now in preparation for the service upgrade. And I'm not currently saturating the upload pipe because I know of the limitations. If I go with Gig service, I will up my upload usage mainly by running a always on site to site VPN tunnel between my primary home and my vacation home. I plan on doing regular backup replications to a server/storage system I've already moved out there. Plus the added download performance won't hurt. Although I won't use all of the Gig pipe. My SonicWall TZ400W is limited to 400Mbps when I have DPI turned on. So I would essentially be leaving about 600Mbps on the table unused. But I'm ok with it because as I said I'm after the upload performance more than anything else.

Now if I can put my boot up someone's behind at Mediacom. They're the ISP at my vacation home. And I tell you they have the worst service I've seen. I couldn't use my circuit recently when I was out there for any kind of streaming. I did a continuous ping test to a known DNS server on the Internet and I was dropping packets constantly. I just did a continuous ping test from my Comcast service at home to my firewall at my vacation home and again dropping packets. I just don't have the time now to yell at them yet. I will soon.

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    are you seeing high ping times? Have you did a trace route? Do you know if any of your neighbours have the same issue?

10. zx10guy

Yes, I'm getting to me unusually high latency on the packet returns. I haven't done a trace route as I don't think it's a routing issue. I haven't asked any of the neighbors yet. I only talk to a few of them as I'm not out there often (which will change starting this summer). One of them I know asking would be pointless as they have DirecTV.

But I do know the service I get from Mediacom has been very subpar. One time I was getting so many outages through inconsistent connectivity, I complained and the rep acknowledged based on their records there was something wrong. So I got that month's service charges credited back to me. How much of these issues also manifest itself with me is when I get email alerts my Honeywell smart thermostat isn't reporting up to Honeywell's cloud server.

I just have to make sure I set aside some time when I go out there for me to complain and to be able to support any tech dispatch to my vacation home.

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Trace route may find a hop that has latency which could help determine the issue.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1227491

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice