1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Switch User troubles

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Zeke_cl, Jan 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zeke_cl

Zeke_cl Thread Starter

Ok this is kinda weird. Everyonce in a while I am not able to use Switch User:confused: :confused: It does nothing when I hit Log Off and the Switch User. It just goes back like I did nothing at all. Same with using the shorcut win+L

Sorry I am using winXP pro

I have checked under users and made sure that allow fast switching is on. Is there another place that you can change this (registry or something)?

I usually have to do a system restore to an earlier date but this is not only a pain it changes everything back as well.

Any suggestions??? I am lost.

thanks Zeke_cl

2. JJJecj71

JJJecj71

In the control panel goto users and then change the way users log on or off and just make sure there is a check where you will see Use fast user switching

If your still having problems I would do a www.windowsupdate.com to see if your system requires patches and hotfix with XP.

J

3. Zeke_cl

Zeke_cl Thread Starter

thanks for the quick reply ... but my system is up to date with patches and fixes and I have made sure that the fast switch is set on. I even turned it off and then turned it back on to see if that would help but to no avail.

Zeke_cl

4. JJJecj71

JJJecj71

try this,

Goto Control panel > Performance & Maintenace >Administrative tools, then to Computer Management. Where you see local/users & groups click the little plus sign then click in the box folders -users and see if you have any X's on other users?

5. Zeke_cl

Zeke_cl Thread Starter

there's only a x on the support_388945a0 icon.
    I think this only something for microsoft isn't it. I think it is like that because I used XP antispy?

But that is the only user that has an x o the icon.

As well with me not being able to switch users when the system goes to screen saver it is suppose to go back to the user logon screen when it gets out of the screen saver but all it does is hang. I have to use CTR-ALT-DEL to get it to go back to my desktop.

6. JJJecj71

JJJecj71

Are you using some type of a tweak program?

Did you try to disable the sreen saver? I would delete the one that has the X and have it save everything and create a new one again to see if this fixes the problem.

You should beable to log out and log back on other user without this problem for sure.
    Hang in there, try to delete that account and create a new one.
    Let me know.

7. Zeke_cl

Zeke_cl Thread Starter

well it seemed to work ... I deleted the support user that had the X on it and also I had duplicate VSA accounts(Visual Studio Analyzer) so I got ride of one (the one with a 1 after the same name). Than I restarted my comp and I can switch users now :D :D :D

Hopefully this will fix it for good ... thanks for your help JJJecj7.

Zeke_cl

8. Zeke_cl

Zeke_cl Thread Starter

Ok so it worked for a while but now I'm back where I started.

I installed a patch fro windows ... a virtual machine patch ... restarted my system now I and back to not being able to do a switch again ...

anymore ideas ....

Zeke_cl

9. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Go to start>Run and type services.msc Press enter

This will bring up the Services console.

Be sure Terminal Services has started.

IF not, start it. If disabled, change that to Manual.

Fast User Switching depends on this service. If Terminal Services is not started, Fast User Switching will not function.

Also, Have a look in Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Event View

for any and all error messages in System for clues.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112662

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice