1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Switched from cable to DSL - can't get wireless router to connect

Discussion in 'Networking' started by majorwest, Dec 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. majorwest

majorwest Thread Starter

Just switched from cable to DSL internet.

My cable setup had a wireless router connected which shared internet with two other computers in the home.

But with the DSL, I can't seem to get the router to communicate with DSL modem. I set the modem to bridge mode but I have no idea what settings to change on the router.

DSL modem: Motorola 2210
    Wireless router: Motorola WR850g running DD-WRT

Any ideas?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You probably need to configure the WAN section of the router for the name/password associated with the DSL account. You'll also most likely have to change from the dynamic setting to PPPoE.

3. majorwest

majorwest Thread Starter

Ok, thanks. Will give this a try.

4. majorwest

majorwest Thread Starter

Ok, been working on this all day but for some reason can no longer access the web-based gui for my router. It worked earlier today. Didn't make any changes so don't know what is different from earlier today when I could log in. Man, if it isn't one thing, it's another..sigh.

Any thoughts?

5. JohnWill

One issue with the Motorola is it's a modem/router. It also lives on the 192.168.1.x subnet. If your router is also using teh 192.168.1.x subnet as a base address, it will never get a connection through the Motorola. Change the base address of the router to 192.168.2.1 and see if that works better.

6. majorwest

majorwest Thread Starter

Ok, but first I'm trying to figure out why I can't get back into my router's gui interface. It was working fine all morning but now I can't access it.

Didn't make any changes that I'm aware of. Just can't figure out what is different from this morning, and now.

Any thoughts on that?

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Reset the router to factory default settings. Connect a computer to a LAN port and don't connect anything else but the power supply to the router. Can you access the web-like interface now?

8. majorwest

majorwest Thread Starter

I just finished performing a hard reset on the router per suggestion on another forum. The only connection is from the pc to one of the LAN ports on back of router. I've left a cable in the WAN port but it's not connected to anything at the moment (shouldn't make a difference, right?)

But yet, still not able to get to 192.168.1.1. Just times out.

Edit: I've just got to say I don't think I've ever been as frustrated with anything as I have this. I've been dealing with this one issue the better part of the day...trying every suggestion that a google search offers. Problem is everyone has a different solution, and I'm dutifully going down the list trying each one. Sigh!

9. grizz699

grizz699

did you try the cmd: ipconfig/release - then: ipconfig/renew
    It might get you back to the router

10. JohnWill

I think you have either killed the router, or you have a bad cable or NIC. Please do this.

• Reset the router to factory defaults by holding the reset button down for 15 seconds with power on.
    • Connect the computer to one of the router's LAN/Network ports.
    • Turn on the router, wait for two minutes.
    • Boot the computer.

When the computer is completely booted, let's see this.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

11. majorwest

majorwest Thread Starter

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/782058