Switching between 2 browsers on a daily basis

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kaizezheng

Hi all,
System:
MBP 13 inch. 10.6.3. FF 3.6. Safari 4.

The problem:
I use FF as my home browser, which is very resource intensive (like 26% CPU vs. Safari 4%) so I don't use it when I don't have a power source. I'd like to use Safari as my "mobile browser" but hate moving my opened tab information between two browsers so many times.

Things I've tried:
Creating two profiles in FF. (Same problem with moving info)
Using Safety Mode in FF. (By disabling all functionality except the basics, I loose some stuff that Safari has like Faviconized bookmarks)

Any solutions?
Ideally, what I'm looking for is a way to create a profile on firefox that has 3 or so active extensions that I need, but still have the same Settings and Opened Tabs as my other "full extensions" profile. By it's very nature though, I haven't seen a way to make profiles behave in that manner.
Thanks! :eek:

Hi. I've never done this before, but could you create two different profiles within OS X instead of FF? One would be the full-featured one, and the other account would be your portable one. This way you can tweak all your programs to get exactly what you want out of both situations. Again, I've never really used a multi-users Mac, but I think OS X would keep your two different user accounts separate, eg if you scale down FF in one account, it won't make the same changes to the other.

I am not sure that I understand you completely, but here are some options:

1. Portable Firefox may be an option for you - it can have a separate set of extensions and bookmarks
http://www.freesmug.org/portableapps/firefox

2. If you want to sync FF and Safari's bookmarks and such, Xmarks will keep all them in sync.
http://www.xmarks.com/

3. Create multiple profiles for Firefox:
Step 1. Launch FireFox from Terminal: /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin --profilemanager
- A window will appear. Create your profiles. I created two called "Heavy" and "Lite". Whatever you call your profiles, remember the names are case sensitive.
Step 2. Create Launchers For each profile. Open "Script Editor" and paste in
do shell script "/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin -P profileName"
- replace the profileName with the name of your profile
- save that applescript as an application and name it something like 'Firefox Launch Lite' and 'Firefox Launch Heavy' to your desktop.
- To open firefox by each profile, use those new icons.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online