1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Switching from Fedora 9 to Gentoo

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by SpyKiller112, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SpyKiller112

SpyKiller112 Guest Thread Starter

So, I've been using Fedora 9 for a few weeks, I used it as an intro to Linux... to get somewhat familiar with the OS. But now I want to go on to something else. I think I want to try out Gentoo as I have read that it is "faster" because it compiles all the relevant hardware information in the beginning. There are just a few things I want to know before I start though.

Does Gentoo have a GUI package installer like fedora? Or do you have to manually compile all your programs? I think that's really the only major concern. I'm still not anywhere near being even an intermediate level linux user, so I can't really have something that requires a LOT of intense coding. But I do want to get to that level some day, so I don't want the OS to be TOO user friendly, or I at least want to be able to have the option to get "down and dirty"

2. jrbuergel

jrbuergel

First Name:
    Jim
  3. SpyKiller112

SpyKiller112 Guest Thread Starter

Debian has a slow release cycle, which I don't really like. And Slackware seems like it might be a little hard for me. Don't you think?

Doesn't this mean that if i'm installing something and it requires another package, it won't automatically download it for you? I'm not experienced enough to know what packages are needed to run what. Also,

This might prove to be tricky. I dunno. I'm never good at picking something that has 100+ alternatives. I even find it hard to pick a movie out at Blockbuster!

4. rob.rice

rob.rice

the slackware installer is simple you do have to partition the drive before you start the installer
    (mostly you just tell the installer where to put things and what you want want installed)

as far as configuration goes that not as hard as you might think
    besides there is very little you need to change for a desk top computer and you do know what you want the computer to do (so it's not like picking a movie)
    at http://linuxquestions.org there is lots of help with slackware there is even a subforum just for slack

there are web sites like linux packages that have slackware packages that have everything not included in the standard everything installation of slack to run what ever program is in the package

slack is as far from windoze as you can get it has not been dumbed down for people not willing to learn
    there is a saying "if you want to learn linux install slack"
    another saying is "if you have a hard linux problem find an experienced slacker"

IF your willing to learn slackware can be user friendly BUT slackware dose not suffer fools gladly

5. utanja

utanja

What is wrong with a slow release cycle? This insures stability..

apt-get or aptitude or synaptic in debian rule supreme for automatically d/ling dependancies....

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!