1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

switching from frontpage to dreamweaver?

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by jeremyf, Feb 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jeremyf

jeremyf Thread Starter

Hey folks -

I have been using frontpage for my (fairly basic) web design needs. However, I would like to start doing some more advanced work on the site, and it seems like dreamweaver is a superior program. I have intermediate computer skills, and feel that I could pick up dreamweaver pretty easily. However, I am really used to the frontpage "web" system, where I can open up the entire file system for a given website by going to "open web" and entering the site address. I am then prompted for my password, and after that I can edit any files on the web site by selecting them. To save changes, I only have to click the save button. No uploading, no ftp, no need for locally stored files, no nonsense. Is there an analogous method of web page editing in dreamweaver? I assume that it is through the "dreamweaver site" option, but that option seems to be focused on having locally stored files which are then manually updated to the server. Is this the only option in dreamweaver? I really want to make the switch, but I like not having to worry about two separate copies of the files. I just want to edit the copies on the web!

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Jeremy

2. lonestarx

lonestarx

after using dreamweaver, you will get used to the look of it, you can define sites in the same way as frontpage.

you will then be presented by a list of local files which you are able to edit, if you have configure dreamweaver to open in the site view.

to move the updated file to your live webserver is simply a matter of clicking on a 'put' button. dreamweaver will then prompt you to save the local copy, if you haven't saved the changes, once that is done, the application will automatically connect to your remote location, assuming that the ftp location, username and password has been correctly setup, and then move the local copy of the file to the live webserver.

i made the same change you are thinking of doing about 6/7 years ago, and can honestly say i have never used frontpage for anything since.

hope this is of some help.

3. cnelson04

cnelson04

I believe dreamweaver is a much better program that frontpage. ;) -cnelson. :)

4. virtualgeorg

virtualgeorg

I still use FrontPage on rare occaisions but dreamweaver is much better in so many ways it would take too long to list.

Its wierd at first after you are used to using frontpage but here are so many tutorial sites around it doesn't take long to learn. I like vtc.com but there are many. After a few months you will be saying to yourself, "I wish I would have done this sooner"

-George

5. Doug Vitale

Doug Vitale

It sounds like what you're doing is editing the Web site files that are on the Web server. I think this is a bad idea. I would recommend that you keep a copy of the entire site on your local drive, make whatever changes to this copy, and when you have looked it over and tested it, then you should upload it to the Web server.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/331059

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice