1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Switching from Outlook Express to Microsoft Outlook as email default

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Dantree, Sep 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dantree

Dantree Thread Starter

How do I make Microsoft Outlook the default email program? I make the change in IE version 5, but when I reboot the system (Win 98), Outlook Express is once again selected as the default email program.

I read in a previous post about using the following sequence for making Outlook Express the default. Is there anything similar for Microsoft Outlook? :
    ------------------------------------------------------
    To make Outlook Express your default e-mail client:
    Close OE, click Start/Run and enter this command line, complete with quotes, spaces and the /reg switch:

"C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe" /reg
    ---------------------------------------------------------

Thanks very much,
    Dan

2. RandyG

RandyG

Hi Dan,

Open Outlook, and you will usually receive a question whether or not you want it to be the default handler.

3. Dantree

Dantree Thread Starter

Opening Outlook doesn't prompt the question of whether it should be the default program. Is there some sort of command to run like the one I mentioned before your last post that would apply for Microsoft Outlook?

Thanks,
    Dan

4. ancientone

ancientone

Try this:

In Internet Explorer, click on Tools>Internet Options>Programs tab. In the E-Mail or Mail setting, click on the list arrow to see if Outlook is there. If so, choose Outlook and click on OK.

5. RandyG

RandyG

Hi ancientone,
    From what I read in Dan's first post, he has tried that method, but it's not sticking.
    Are you running Netscape on your system? OL2002: Outlook Is Not Automatically the Default E-mail Client After Upgrade from Netscape E-mail Client see if this article helps. You will need to find and rename the mapi32.dll file located in C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033 folder.

Are you using MSN Explorer? OL2000: Configuring Outlook as the Default E-mail Client for MSN 2.5 this article details how to do a registry change to make sure it sticks. I think this will help you regardless of anything else, as I have the same key in my registry, and I do not use MSN.

I found 2 heys that store that info. I don ot know if the first one, HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSN\Mail, is the default or if HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\MSN\Mail is. Change both!

6. ancientone

ancientone

Thanks RandyG. I guess I scanned instead of read.

Additionally, Dantree should be able to go into the Options in Outlook and make Outlook the default.

7. RandyG

RandyG

I thought that as well, but when I went to look Yesterday, I couldn't find that option. I know it is in Outlook Express, but I could not find it in OUtlook 2000.

8. Dantree

Dantree Thread Starter

Thanks, I will check these fixes out. Dan

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/95620

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice