1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

switching from windows 2000 to XP

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by karmaticlove, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. karmaticlove

karmaticlove Thread Starter

Brillant Gentlemen/women of the Forum,

First, I would like to say this forum ROCKS! Bless your brillant minds.

Second, since my p/c has become totally infected by Spy-Agent.bc, I have given up the fight and want to install a new o/s. Also, in the process of trying to remove this malware I lost the driver (deleted it by accident) for the sound control (little speaker in the task bar) on my computer.

I know one can download this, that, and the other thing, post logs, do scans in safe mode, scan here, scan there, and whatever but, for me, it seems to be a loosing battle.

It has been two long days of my life and I cant deal with it nomo'.

Also, when I bought my p/c on Flee Bay it came with no software, no o/s disk, and the like. I cant find the driver, to fix my sound, online and I have never had a back up disk for my o/s.

I have accumulated programs overtime. I have important documents in MS Works, got pic, got music, you know the deal... and now have this spy ware drama, so my question is:

Yesterday, I scored a new in the box copy of Windows XP. It is the home upgrade version... will I have any issues trying to overwrite Windows 2000 with this new o/s?

THANKS SO MUCH!!!

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You can't upgrade from Windows 2000 to Windows XP Home.

If you decide to install Windows XP, you should purchase a full version, not an upgrade because you do not have the CD for the previous operating system which is required for a clean install which is what you need to do given the numerous problems.

3. karmaticlove

Thanks for the timely reply.

So, when I score a full version of XP or Windows 2000 and install it, I am going to loose all the programs, pics, music, docs, and stuff on my p/c... darn!

I should probably make a back of cd of my programs and personal files so that I can transfer everything over to the "new" o/s... yes? I think it is time to get an external hard drive for extra back up purposes.

Will there be any drama with a new o/s install and lets say my DSL set up, my VoiP set up, , my router... shouldn't be... but you guys may know better.

As far as hardware, I know I'll have to reinstall all the stuff for the camera, printer, and the like.

This is turning out to be major drama. Not happy :mad:

Maybe I can save this p/c yet.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You need to make back ups regardless of whether or not you reinstall your computer.

You cannot back up programs. They must be installed from the original installation files or CDs.

When you perform a clean install of a computer, everything must be reinstalled and reconfigured, and that includes your internet connection.

5. karmaticlove

Oh man! Not good.

I am in way deep and some of my stuff cant be replaced. This is a hard lesson learned.

Now, I have so many, if not too many, questions.

Maybe, I should start searching and reading up, don't want to waste your time.

The docs and pics can be saved to cd... I know that.

So, you mean to tell me that with a new o/s I can't get back sound? I cant tell you what sound card is in the p/c, maybe I can find out via the control panel.

As long as I can reconfigure my dsl connection (I can call the techs at verizon to walk me through it if I have too) most of the programs can be downloaded.

I was going to try HijackThis and post the logs for help. I was using SmitFraudfix, Ewido, other spy ware removal programs, different virus scans, and so much more, on my own... it seemed way deep.

McAfee calls that trojan low risk, wrong.

I'll try to find the driver for sound, first. Take it from there if I am successful.

THANKS Pimp Daddy Helix:cool:

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Download SIW, it'll tell you more than you ever wanted to know about your system, including all the hardware. Drivers for most hardware shouldn't be an issue with XP.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486016

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice