Switching from Windows 95 to 98

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jaz.tx

I just bought a digital camera that requires (at least) windows 98
I have windows 95 in my PC, how can I uninstall windows 95 and install windows 98. I don't want to buy the upgrade disk ($89.99!!!) because I have the CD for Windows 98.
If there is a way to perform such uninstall-install, will I have to re-install all other applications, or will I lose any other programs?

Thank you in advance...

JAZ.

Being that you don't have the upgrade disk you between a rock and a hard place.
To install I'm not even sure. I think you may have to format or at least deltree windows and then try to reinstall.
Even if it allows you to install with doing a deltree of windows all your other applications are going to need to be reinstalled.
If you have someway of backing up your data I would suggest backing up what you need and then just formatting the c drive.'
Do you have multiple partitions or one single drive.

Maybe someone else has a better method, been a long time since I installed over an existing os.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
You can rename the file win.com to win.old and install over the existing setup of 95.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online