Switching Graphics cards

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Codemaster

Hiya, tomorrow (well actually today, it just turned 12:01) I'm getting a AIW 800 XT, now, just to check, what I'm going to do is:

Use ATI's uninstaller to unistall video drivers/related materia
Physically remove graphics card
put new graphics card in
put disc that came with graphics card
run install, ect.

and I should have no problems, right?

SirKenin

Banned
Yeah, you'll have lots. That card sucks. I'm sorry about your luck..

lol. Just teasing.

Don't use the drivers on the CD. You got everything else right, but download the latest drivers from ATi's website and install them. ;)

Codemaster

I was about ready to flame you and pee myself before I read the "lol" lol. Ok Thanks, those would be the Catalyst drivers right?

Codemaster

Just looked on the ati site, and under xp saw Catalyst 5.13 or multimedia center, which do I want for an AIW? I heard there was like Catalyst 9 or something. OR lol, since I'm planning on overclocking sometime in the future, should I go for Omega drivers?

SirKenin

Banned
haha. Yeah, the Catalysts. You'll need the .net framework installed first.

Codemaster

Well I'm using Catalsys drivers now, so I'd have the .net framework installed right? Any opinion about Omega?

SirKenin

Banned
If you use the Omega drivers you would lose the multimedia functions of the AIW card, as far as I know. I don't think there is any provision in those drivers for those functions.

Codemaster

damn, well I think I'll go with the catalyst drivers than, cause whats the point of having an AIW if I can't do anything AIWish lol, maybe if I find I don't use those features at all and I wanna overclock. BTW, what is the latest catalyst driver?

Since your using an All in wonder card i recommend you use the official ATI drivers. .net framework 1.1 has only been necessary for recent catalyst drivers (5.12 or 5.13). Otherwise you could have downloaded the Control Panel version of the Catalyst drivers.

IF you end up needing to install .net framework be sure to update it through the windows update page. You'll need to install net framework 1.1. Reboot and revisit the windows update page and update the net framwork install.

SirKenin

Banned
.NET has been necessary since at least 5.9, if not earlier. I remember being bugged for it around that point.

Codemaster, go to the Windows Update page. If the .NET framework update is listed there, then you need it. Otherwise you know you have it.

Start-Control Panel-Add/remove programs. Scroll down to the M's and look for "Microsoft .Net Framework 1.1" as well as "Microsoft .Net Framework Hotfix".

If it's not installed you get it from the windows update page under 'Software'.

SirKenin said:
.NET has been necessary since at least 5.9, if not earlier. I remember being bugged for it around that point.

Codemaster, go to the Windows Update page. If the .NET framework update is listed there, then you need it. Otherwise you know you have it.
I had 5.11's installed using the 'Control Panel' not 'Catalyst Control Center'. But with 5.12 and 5.13 it appears you can only download the CCC version.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online