1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Switching Hard drives, can it be done?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LadyKida, Mar 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LadyKida

LadyKida Thread Starter

My computer has been getting noticeably slower over the past few days. It's started making that "working" noise that is loud and almost constant. After some research, I figure my primary hard drive (an 80gb dino) is headed for the graveyard. I have a second hard drive (Slightly newer 250gb that was bought used) that I keep all my non program files on, music, pictures, videos, etc. I've got about 115gb worth of data on that drive that I don't want to lose. My resources are limited to almost non-existent (I've got a small 16gb sd card to work with) and extra funds, well there are none of those. I'd like to move my OS to the second drive making it my primary, but I don't know if it can be done without losing all my other files.

Help?

2. raybro

raybro

What you want to do can be done, but it can get complicated and there is some level of risk of data loss.

The process would involve a 3rd party software program to resize the data partition on the 250GB drive to create adequate space for a new partition where you could then clone your failing drive or do a clean install of the OS. That's a thumbnail description of the process and options.

A good partition management program is Easeus Partition Master. The program is a free download and will do everything you need including the clone process.

Assuming the process is successful, you would then remove your old drive and install the 250GB drive in its place. If everything has been done correctly, your computer will boot normally.

You may want to seriously consider doing a clean install of the OS so you start with no trash buildup which is pretty normal with Windows. This would require re-installation of all software programs, 3rd party utilities and Windows updates (which can be a real time consumer). You would need either system install disks or have a recovery partition on your hard drive.

Please read through this post carefully and let us know firstly, what you would like to do and secondly, how you would like to do it given the alternatives I've noted.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1092381

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice