1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Switching Hard Drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Samtastic, Apr 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Samtastic

Samtastic Thread Starter

Hello all,

So I have had some issues with my Hard Drive recently and wanted to switch over to my second HD that I have on my computer. I clean wiped the secondary HD I have and just wanted to boot my computer through it and begin installing my Windows, Programs etc without having to back up my HD I am running right now. For some reason I cant shake this malware I have and for a while now I wanted to switch HD's anyways so why not now. MY only problem being that when I go to boot through the disk on start up it just brings me back to my HD I have now. When I went through BIOS it only shows the one disk to boot through....I am at a loss for what to do over just wiping the disk I have now and start fresh. I am probably missing something so that is why I come here. ANy help or advice would be very helpful...Thanks!

2. Frost_WD

Frost_WD Western Digital Representative

Hi Samtastic,

Could you provide more information as to how did you wipe the HDD you want to boot from? If it it not your main drive and you do not have an OS installed on it it is normal that it will not boot as there wouldn't be a system to boot.
    What you could try as the simplest solution would be to install the hard drive you want to boot from in the SATA port of the one you used to boot from till now.
    If you simply want to use the drive you can disconnect your main HDD install the one you would like to use and install on it. Afterwards, make sure the boot order in BIOS is set to boot from the drive. Once you are done with that you can connect the old drive and transfer any files you need.
    If, however, you do not see the drive in BIOS that is not a good sign. Can you see it when it is connected as a secondary drive? Could you run a brand specific diagnostics test on your hard drives and post the SMART data here? Also, if have trouble seeing some of the drives you could try with different cables/ports.
    As for your malware problem there is plenty of software that can help you with that – I can not offer any program in particular, however, a quick Google search should yield quite a few results.
    As a side note, it is recommended that you always have a back up of your important data.

Keep me posted,
    Frost_WD

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If the drive is not detected in the bios, then you are never going to install windows on the drive. With the system OFF and unplugged, open the case and reseat both the pw and data cables for the drive. Be sure they are fully seated. I would also disconnect your current drive during the install ie just have the single drive connected when doing the windows install.

How exactly did you accomplish this task?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146706

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice