1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Switching Hard Drives???

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ibmer, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ibmer

ibmer Thread Starter

First of all,this is not my problem...I own an IBM..(y) .It is my daughters problem,,she insisted on that Dell..and the HP!...she was not on the net...she was listening to a cd...the next time she turned it[the Dell GL 110] on BSOD..it said..seek disk drive...she messed with it..now it cant find the operating system...win2000..and in set up it says cd rom is not installed....messed with the setup some more..now it says..O.S.error..and sits and blinks that little line...there is an HP presario with a burned out power fan box..with win xp home on it....can I switch hard drives??!!The HP works fine,except for the box...can I put it[HD] in the Dell? This Dell has limited promise..it is huge..has room and set up for a second HD...has 256 mem...I have the Dell drivers if the win xp balks...yes the hook ups aer the same,,[at first glance] if the mem sticks are the same..mabey I can add the HP's to the Dells? both are 40 gb....what do you think??

2. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    Yes, you can move the hard drive across, but the drawback is that you will have to reinstall XP from scratch (there is a way to not have to reinstall, but it is so long-winded and complicated, that I don't know how to do it). And the drawback to that is that you most likely won't be able to use the HP disk...

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :( .

Wait for other responses, though. Someone might have more of a clue than me...

3. ibmer

ibmer Thread Starter

Hi! Thanks for the reply..I understand about the xp...I was wondering...I have win2000 pro on my IBM...is it possible to clone this over to the Dell?? Thanks!

4. ibmer

ibmer Thread Starter

Oh! By the way..Im not an advanced user..I feel kinda dumb seeing that on there...mabey theyll chang that..or I can....

5. The Hound

The Hound

The Win2k license for the IBM is unique to the IBM-legally you cannot run the IBM installation on any other machine.

A power supply for the HP would set you back less than 50 bucks--my opinion would be that you'd save hours of headache and boatloads of heartache by replacing the HP power supply.

I'm not a Win2k guy, but it's likely that someone here would like a shot at making the Dell work again...If she opened the box (you did say she 'messed with it'), you might try checking cables and jumpers on the hdd and cd drive.

Your call...

6. ibmer

ibmer Thread Starter

Hi! Thanks,Well,I kinda had the feeling about my IBM,not being able to clone it and all...Well,when she messed with the Dell,it was the set up screen...bios ect. She disabled secondary hard disk 1..then..when she was all done...all it says now is,,error finding operating system. I used my win2000 recovery disk...nothing..Im beginning to think...the cd drive may be out...I think your right...its better to got a power box for the HP...ank keep the dell for parts...thankyou!!

7. The Hound

The Hound

Boot the Dell back to the BIOS (probably F2 right at the first screen-it should tell you), then press the key (maybe F5) to load bios defaults. Save changes and exit (often F10) and reboot--see if you at least get a rise from the primary hd...Those keystrokes may be different--it will say as you go.

8. ibmer

ibmer Thread Starter

A-OK!...I did what you said..no responce..F5 brought up nothing..i did get inti the start up screen...it said cannot find primary hard drive 1..cannot find primary secondary hard drive 2 it only has 1 HD. Before she messed with it,the very first BSOD said..00000007b,inacessable boot device..we live in a very small town,in the middle of nowhere,and the 1 comp. repair wont even look at it with out 40.00 bucks.( I do hear a tiny hum when it starts..no beeps,rattles or rolls....)..oh,it also said..diskett drive 1 seek[??!!}...Ican buy a new hd for a little over 40.00...we have 4 comps..2 IBM and 1 hp,1 Dell.the last 2 give us nothing but trouble...at least the HP hard drive is fine...and the winxp on it is good..[.I wanted to salvage at least one of these...so the kids will leave the IBM's alone...]..thanks! Really,I appreciate every advice!!

9. The Hound

The Hound

If that's an old Optiplex, you're right-F5 won't reset the BIOS defaults.

Does this attachment look like your first setup screen?

Attached Files:

10. ibmer

ibmer Thread Starter

Hi! Thans for all the help!The screen you sent wasnt the one i see,when it setsup.Sorry...the screen actually reminds me of the win98 se on my old aptiva,does this help?.I dont understand why it wont read cds ..I tried..win98 install cd,Win xp,restore 2000,Dell drivers for this particuler machine..service pk 2 for win 2000 pro...the cd light blinks once,then nothing...am I kicking a dead horse?? Im kinda stubborn,and I hate to give up...but,alas,reality bites! nuntheless,Im accepting all ideas[lol]..thanks!

11. The Hound

The Hound

Regardless of the particular look of your setup (BIOS), try to set the Primary Master IDE device (might be called device 0) to AUTO, the Primary Slave device (maybe drive 1) to NONE.

Secondary Master to CDROM, Secondary slave to NONE.

The terminology might be different--don't be afraid to ask if you're not clear on what you see. If you could take a picture, that would really help...

12. ibmer

ibmer Thread Starter

Hi! Yes! Windows finally started !!!Thankyou! Idid what you said...except,I guess my daughter had enterd all the drives to auto...so I disabled all except "primary Disk o "and..wallaa! windows is back!!I got it to scan disk...but the bsod ...same stop message appeared..but,I can now enter safe mode...I just am not sure what to do in S.M....??
    you are so smart!! So,if windows logo loads...does that mean my HD is good??THANKS!!!..ok I just turned it back on to startup...disketA..Not installed[i took it out]
    Primary Drive...O.........Hard drive
    Primary Drive 1........off
    secondary drive O.....off
    secondary drive 1.....off

13. ibmer

ibmer Thread Starter

now,how do i get the cdrom to be enabled?thnx again

14. The Hound

The Hound

Excellent--you're welcome.

Now I would set Secondary Master (drive 0) to CDROM, leave secondary slave (drive 1) to NONE.

Also, look for (and disable) floppy drive(diskette) seek-that may clear up that other message if you've physically disconnected the floppy from the computer.

Then, if you can boot to safe mode, click start, run, type cmd and click ok.
    A black box with something like C:\Documents and Settings\User> will open. Forget the mouse for a minute, and type scandisk /r and press enter (note the space between the k and the / , and that the / is the / on the ? key in the lower right).
    You'll get a message about scandisk being unable to run because the volume is in use, or some such wording, and would you like to run scandisk on next reboot--Yes you would. Close out and reboot--scandisk will run automatically, and if all goes well, you'll then be able to boot windows normally.

Tell us how all that goes...

Attached Files:

15. ibmer

ibmer Thread Starter

HI! Hey...I did what you said...un did the floppy...re-did the cdrom...actually,I had the boot sequence change to cdrom...then c drive...and i forgot ...and i had left the win 2000 service pack 2 in it...it started!!!it is now reformatting my hd,,,it said it couldent start op 2000 pro cause of damaged hd...its now formatting...I hope it will reinstall the 2000 that was on there!!!it is now coping files to the win 2000 instalation files!!! wow!!this is so exciting!!!! I hope all goes well!!!this is good....right???thanks!!!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/613507

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice