1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

switching hard drives?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bradymonster, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bradymonster

bradymonster Thread Starter

ok i am useing a dell pentim 3....it has a 30 gig harddrive....i have a other computer here with a 160 gig harddrive the i dont use ...i want to take the 30 gig harddrive out of this dell i am useing and put the 160 gig one in my dell.....the 30 gig harddrive had windows xp pro on it and the 160 gig harddrive has windows xp home on it ...can u help or give me some tips please ....and i would like to be able to keep every thing on the harddrives .

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Its not going to be easy, because the hardware is so different, If you do get the 160gb installed in the Dell, it most likely will not boot, because it will try to load drivers for the old motherboard, and probably will trash the XP home installation.

Another consideration is that the old Dell bios will not recognize properly that large 160gb hard drive, all bios in that day had a 128~137gb limit.

Sounds like a bad idea to me.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916868

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice