1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Switching HDD from one computer to another

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CellarDweller, Mar 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CellarDweller

CellarDweller Thread Starter

Before I get too involved with what I'm about to do, please tell me if I can simply take my HDD out of one computer and put it in another, and still have it work. I'm using XP, btw. I have a feeling the XP security stuff will prevent me from doing it, but I'm hoping there's a workaround.
    (I just don't feel like doing all that backing up and reinstalling process, and ghosting is not an option right now.)

Thanks!

2. $teve

$teve

very doubtful........your hard drive will be configured to run with a specific set of settings/drivers/hardware and will probably $hit kittens if you try to make it work on a completely different computer.if the 2 systems are very similar it may work ok......you will do no harm to the drive with trying.
    good luck
    ;)

3. slipe

slipe

There should be no problem hooking it up as a second drive though. You will have to install Windows and your programs on the primary, but your data would access fine from the second drive.

4. CellarDweller

Okay, so let me see if I got this right...

1. Put a new drive on primary
    2. Format and install XP on it.
    3. Then install my programs on it also.
    4. Put my existing drive on secondary, as is, with all its' existing data (XP, programs/apps, etc.).

And I'll be able to work with it like that? I'm wondering if it would create a boot conflict, both drives having XP on them.

5. $teve

$teve

no........you will see a windows folder on the drive but your c: drive will boot normally and the 2nd drive will be just a slave.
    once you get up and running you can move all your needed files to the new drive and format the slave from inside windows......(right click the drive,choose "format")giving you a nice clean 2nd drive.

6. CellarDweller

Cool. That's what I'll do then, which is pretty much what I figured would have to be done anyway, but I wasn't sure about the two drives having the same OS on them. Thanks. :)

7. hammerbill

hammerbill

Personally, I wouldn't do it unless ready to get Microsft's permission. You see, Win XP has a rating system that keeps track of new devices added and taken from your system. After a certain number of devices are added, it locks up and has you re-"activate" which is that anoying process of contacting microsoft to get their permission to load your system. If you put the hard drive in a totally new system, you will almost certainly have to re-activate. The best way would be by phone because I doubt if it will let you run it enough to dial out at that point.
    If you then try to put it back in your old system, perhaps because it doesn't work the way you want you will have to reactivate yet again even though it should be familiar with your old devices enough to load them. The problem is that after the third or so time, Microsoft starts treating you and talking to you like a criminal. I personally like to fiddle with computers and am always switching hardware around and got tired of the way I was treated after my 3rd reload.
    I got stalled by the XP stuff too when I tried similar hd transfer. I bought XP the day it came out. The very next day I went back to ME. I fiddle around with XP every now to learn of its curses and erase it before my month is up and and dread the day that we are all forced into it.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/124125

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice